1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 21 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Megatherium!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives Megatherium, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, May 25; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Different handle for Rodent 9?

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by argyle1812, Apr 25, 2016.

1. argyle1812

argyle1812 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2016
    I really want to order a Rodent 9 but I wish there were different handle color options. Does anyone know if they will make one with different handles? Maybe even G10 ones?

2. ozgooner

ozgooner

Sep 24, 2011
    Ordinarily you could order it through the Custom Shop and ask for different coloured coatings, handle materials etc. But the Custom Shop is closed at the moment and probably won't be back taking orders until the end of the year.

3. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    I'll be glad when they reopen. I've got a couple projects I'd like done, too. I don't think I've seen an R9 with custom grips, but it would look cool I bet.

4. argyle1812

Mar 6, 2016
    I have no problem waiting till end of the year. Just worried it will be out of production by then.

5. ozgooner

ozgooner

Sep 24, 2011
    Always a risk in the current climate. I was fortunate to get my custom Rodent 6 order in just before the Shop closed, and then the 6 disappeared completely off the site. You could always order one, and send it back later if you want some elements changed.

6. argyle1812

Mar 6, 2016
    Might just do that. Thanks for the tip.

7. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    They will definitely do what ozgooner says here. You could get one and put it through the paces until the shop reopens, and then have the scales swapped. One thing to be prepared for, though, that I did not understand before, is that they will recoat the blade if they are redoing the scales, so that increases cost. When I asked about having a mastiff handle swapped, it was about seventy bucks for a recoat/rescale.

8. argyle1812

Mar 6, 2016
    So I heard back from the custom shop. Sadly there is no way of getting alternate handles on the Rodent 9.

9. ozgooner

ozgooner

Sep 24, 2011
    Then order away. You'd hate to miss out.

10. Robdude

Robdude Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2015
    Tell ya this.. those handles are way more comfortable than they look... but I'm a huge fan of the fusion handle!!... R9 with fusion-ish handle an I would be on that like stink on S#$! Guess the BG FSH is as close as we will get..