Disappointed with Lum Chinese Folder

jki

I just received a Lum Chinese Folder today and I am disappointed with the quality. The specifics: the spine of the blade (in the open position) does not follow the contour of the handle scales, but instead dips noticeably below the scales toward the stop pin; the back spacer is a very poor fit, being "proud" above the handle, and significantly higher above the left scale than the right; the choil looks like somebody chewed it out with their teeth!
I guess I shouldn't expect perfection at this price point, but I have seen MUCH better quality at this level. Also, the above issues bother me because individually, they should be easily fixed at the manufacturing stage with a little more care in production or QA.

I'm sorry you had such bad luck! I own one Lum Chinese and have handled two others recently. All three are absolutely perfect in fit and finish. I wonder how yours made it past the QC folks?

--Bob Q

Exchange it at your dealer for a new one or send it back to Spyderco. My Chinese folder has none of these flaws.

I handled one of these and was really impressed by the (typical Spyderco) quality, it's just the design that I didn't care for. I'm a big proponent of efficient blade:handle ratios, but the handle on this thing is too small, and the green is annoying. I can see it looking like total crap after a few months of carry. Also, I didn't like the opening action all that much. It seemed "fiddly" somehow, probably due to the small handle. Bob Lum should stick to designing tantos... (speaking of which... September's coming!
smile.gif
)

Paul.

I like mine...very much. I like the design; it's very utilitarian. I do agree that the knife would be even better if the aluminum were replaced, perhaps by G10. I find G10 makes a better utility knife since it is more rugged than aluminum. Now if Sal would make it in green G10...I personally like the green color! ...and the quality is very good. I didn't see any of the problems you mentioned with my knife.

Jeff

[This message has been edited by jeffj (edited 05-31-2001).]

I have one and like it a lot. I have also inspected another one very carefully and handled one knife more without particular inspecting. But no one I can consider being performed less than perfectly.
You should have really bad luck. Sure you wouldn't have any problems to replace it at SPYDERCO.
Yes, green G-10 would be cool, polished pleeeeeease!

From all of your responses it seems I got a lemon. I love the design of the knife, and the utility of the thin, flat-ground leaf shaped blade. It is just that on my knife, the execution could be much better. I will send it back to Spyderco and see what they will do. There is nothing wrong functionally with the knife, but the poor attention to details in its manufacture ruin it for me. Thanks for your replies.

I have never heard anyone complain about Spyderco's customer service. I'm sure they will work something out to make you happy. I hope you end up with a Lum as nice as mine.
smile.gif
This one is a work of art as well as a very practical tool.

--Bob Q

Sorry to hear of your Lemon, but mine is perfect, love the whole package very much...

G2

------------------
"The Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions!"
Take the time to read your Bible Now, don't be left behind...

Hi Jki. Sorry for your dissapointment. We can probably take care of you. Contact Mike at Warrantee & Repair.

sal

With that beautiful green handle, even if there is something wrong with it, it isn't a lemon -- it's a lime.

Back