Disassemble Puma 220 700 4 star mini knife

I cleaned this beauty as much as possible but i am not happy with the blade being off center but foremost it not opening as smooth as it could be.

I used a lot of WD40, boiling water to get any gunk out but i could not get it done. Perhaps there are other ways of cleaning it in between without taking the blade off? Perhaps leaving the WD40 there for longer i am thinking now ..

I would like to take out the pivot pin by popping it out with a hammer, then clean and polish it inside so the action will be smooth it but i doubt if this is possible without messing this up, thought id ask how any of you guys would handle it :)

Any advice or tips are welcome!

Thanks for any answer.

Last edited:
You are asking for trouble. Don't do it. There is more to it than taking the blade out. The handles are pearl and they are glued on. They are very easy to break. Don't. Don't!

Did I make myself clear? You also can't make the blade sit straighter.

Why do you think it needs cleaning? Is there visible dirt in the blade well?

It probably needs proper lubrication. Remove as much oil and WD 40 as possible. Apply lithium automotive grease to the blade tang sides and back, or apply Latama Quick Release to the same areas.

You are asking for trouble. Don't do it. There is more to it than taking the blade out. The handles are pearl and they are glued on. They are very easy to break. Don't. Don't!

Did I make myself clear? You also can't make the blade sit straighter.

Why do you think it needs cleaning? Is there visible dirt in the blade well?

It probably needs proper lubrication. Remove as much oil and WD 40 as possible. Apply lithium automotive grease to the blade tang sides and back, or apply Latama Quick Release to the same areas.
Thanks Bill, i will leave it .. will look into the products you mentioned :) Thanks man

I used a lot of WD40, boiling water to get any gunk out but i could not get it done. Perhaps there are other ways of cleaning it in between without taking the blade off? Perhaps leaving the WD40 there for longer i am thinking now
Your knife has simple design so it should not be so hard to clean it.
I recently cleaned ma fathers at least 30 years old SAK Hiker...much more complicated design. Can you imagine how much gunk can accumulate in more then 30 years?
Anyway; I removed plastic sides and cleaned it with small brush and OKS 2611 and Tarco industrial cleaner. Here at work we have all sorts of cleaners, lubricants and similar stuff. Otherwise I didn't want to disassemble it. It would be too much work for an old SAK.
Then I rinsed it with water and dried with compressed air. The final stage was polishing. I also polished plastic sides and then a few drops of low viscosity oil.
When I gave it back my father thought I bought him a new knife. To be hones later I also bought him a new one but that's another story.

Last edited:
Reactions: BJE
Back