Disassembly pics?

After yesterday's experience with the 452, I decided to take a look at the 562cf. Damn if there wasn't a bit of rust as well! Zt owners, take a look at, clean, and oil thos bearings!

5NRqvTo.jpg

S7Nm4Yc.jpg

koyruG3.jpg

KfChYzL.jpg

XcTOM1U.jpg

I always wipe down the liner and other parts, with an oiled cloth before I assemble. This is especially important after you have washed everything with hot, soapy water. The wipe down helps keep rust at bay for me. I even went as far as putting vaseline or sno seal under fixed blade handles as well, and it works great!

I always wipe down the liner and other parts, with an oiled cloth before I assemble. This is especially important after you have washed everything with hot, soapy water. The wipe down helps keep rust at bay for me. I even went as far as putting vaseline or sno seal under fixed blade handles as well, and it works great!
I do the same thing, especially with fixed blades.

Noticed a bit of corrosion on the 452cf. Decided to take it down today. There was a bit more than I expected!

CFpwdNN.jpg

VIuwMy7.jpg

OUldlIt.jpg

RU8MbeY.jpg

Good as new!
Wlc59bd.jpg

Was that rust on both your ZT's or was it some sort of gunk? Just curious cause the pattern looked kinda like a splash. Didn't know of maybe something you cut on a daily basis gets down in there and dries that brown color. (I know your not stupid btw, just an observation )

Great pics of both knives.

Was that rust on both your ZT's or was it some sort of gunk? Just curious cause the pattern looked kinda like a splash. Didn't know of maybe something you cut on a daily basis gets down in there and dries that brown color. (I know your not stupid btw, just an observation )

Great pics of both knives.
Sorry for not replying. Just getting back to this thread. It looked like rust to me. Took some elbow grease to get it off. The stuff on the 0562cf scale did not come off completely.

Sorry for not replying. Just getting back to this thread. It looked like rust to me. Took some elbow grease to get it off. The stuff on the 0562cf scale did not come off completely.

No big deal. I just never seen a ZT rust up like that let alone 2 of em. That's the reason I thought it might be gunk. If u cleaned it and it stained it's probably rust and that sucks. I might be worth contacting KAI over that. It's not like it's a $20 Kershaw.

After yesterday's experience with the 452, I decided to take a look at the 562cf. Damn if there wasn't a bit of rust as well! Zt owners, take a look at, clean, and oil thos bearings!

5NRqvTo.jpg

S7Nm4Yc.jpg

koyruG3.jpg

KfChYzL.jpg

XcTOM1U.jpg

I never got it in the bearings yet thankfully but I have see rust on several ZTs between the steel liner and the scale.

I don’t know what steel they are using for the liners but it seems quite prone to rusting.

Try a purple scotchbrite pad to get rid of it on the liner. It will leave marks though.

No big deal. I just never seen a ZT rust up like that let alone 2 of em. That's the reason I thought it might be gunk. If u cleaned it and it stained it's probably rust and that sucks. I might be worth contacting KAI over that. It's not like it's a $20 Kershaw.

The steel liner on ZT folders can develop spots of rust if all you do is to rinse with hot water without disassembling and wiping dry the it (hair dryer hot air blowing won't help much because it's difficult for the air to get into/through between the liner and the cf or g10 scale).

I'm not worried about the spots between the lines on the 0562. I did enough to inhibit anything further and it's not like anyone but folks looking at this thread will ever see them. Actually pretty good for like 5 years of no matinence and sweaty carry. No need to contact zt. Like I said, should have been titanium but whatever, still one of ZT's best.

Same for the blades and bearings. Sort of expected for being on me consistently for years. Those cleaned up easily.

I get nervous at the thought of disassembling knives.

I have all the stuff for taking them apart, cleaning, oiling, and lubricating them, but only as a last resort

Back