disc sander on a bench grinder?

I'm trying to take a wheel off my bench grinder and replace it with a disc sander... is this possible? I've been calling my local hardware stores and nobody stocks anything like that, or have heard of it. I'm sure it has to exist somewhere? maybe i can just buy a part from a manufacturer of disc sanders and slap it on my bench grinder?

If not... Feel free to suggest a *safe* way to rig it myself :p Thanks!

edit: starting to think it doesnt exist... i've made my way up the chain from ace all the way to "dewitt tool" and nobody has heard of it, or even a disc sander attachment for a regular hand drill... which i know i've seen before.

neosporin said:
I'm trying to take a wheel off my bench grinder and replace it with a disc sander... is this possible? I've been calling my local hardware stores and nobody stocks anything like that, or have heard of it. I'm sure it has to exist somewhere? maybe i can just buy a part from a manufacturer of disc sanders and slap it on my bench grinder?

edit: starting to think it doesnt exist... i've made my way up the chain from ace all the way to "dewitt tool" and nobody has heard of it, or even a disc sander attachment for a regular hand drill... which i know i've seen before.

They do exist, you just need to know where to look. Sears sells parts for their machines maybe they have a disc the size you need, Other places to check, Mcmaster Carr, gaingers, Northern, The guy who makes the KMG belt grinder (Rob Fink?) makes a couple of discs, (kinda expensive) Sears is a pain because you need the model number of a machine that uses the part or the part number

There are probably other companies that sell generic machine components.

I found a 9" disc at a yard sale after looking really hard for a while - I did see one on ebay once. Keep lookin!

i did find one for 70 dollars from Rob Frink , thanks Ilovetoolsteel. For that i could just get a disk sander though, and someone recently told me grinding that way on a bench grinder is dangerous (good thing i didnt try it earlier today like i was planning... sandpaper on the side of the wheel or just the bare wheel) Still can't find the attachment for a hand drill. I'll just have to pick up a disc sander from harbor freight, but that leaves less for the anvil :mad:

I would check at "Grizzly" . The last time I was in Springfield Mo. I went to their warehouse store with the bright idea to get one of their aluminum dics to make one. Talking to the parts person I found out they had the same thing in cast iron for $20 so gues what I did. CHECK may not have them now was 8 years ago. Mike

what i'm still wondering is what makes the bench grinder motor dangerous when grinding on the side of it... anyway i gave up and bought a beltsander/disc sander from harbor freight, i believe a grizzly. now to find some steel for an anvil :D

If you have disc on it (ie aluminum plate with sandpaper), it shouldn't be dangerous.
Using the side of the stone grinding wheel could result in it blowing up in your face, smacking you with some nice chunks of stone moving about 90 miles an hour. Stone grinding wheels aren't designed for side load as a general rule. I think you can buy some that are, but they're supposed to be really expensive in comparison to normal wheels (which run about $30 anyway)

They do make such a device, but it costs more that it would cost to simply go out and buy a combination sander. Here's the link. http://www.trick-tools.com/Bench_Grinder_Attachments_28?view_all

Back