Discovered a gift to lazy sharpeners

fishface5

Gold Member
It is the Sieger long life sharpening rod, made of sintered ruby.

I brought my stones to a friend's house, to sharpen up their kitchen knives as I do when I visit, and it so happened a talented knifemaker had moved in next door and gifted them one of these. I tried it out and ordered one from knifecenter as soon as I got home.

It hogs metal fast, but leaves a polished edge, and the swarf wipes off with a damp towel. It takes maybe 60 seconds on a dull edge (that doesn't require reprofiling) to get a hair-shaving edge. It costs more than a sharpmaker, but for me is a superior performer.

For reference, my standard for sharp is cutting plastic. Clamshell, bags, whatever - if it will glide through instead of requiring force, I'm good. Surprisingly, many knives that feel sharp don't pass this test!

I have tried many many systems - except guided systems, because I don't have the patience. For me, this device is a winner!

Last edited:
Sieger is a pseudo-brand not a company not even a trading company or trading brand , funny. Boker is just one distributor.

The product is manufactured by Kyocera fine ceramics dpt, the ruby is DEGUSSIT Fine. you're not the first to post about Sieger, and this is not the first that i talk about degussit.

i have degussit fine too, lovely stuff

can be used and cleaned with oil.
in tougher instances clean with bar keepers friend.

Last edited:
Back