Discussions & Knife Giveaway

Hi - I bet the knife giveaway got your attention!
We'd like to increase the discussion on the AKTI forum - and interest in AKTI. So, the idea is to have a good discussion going...when it "dies out" have a drawing of the names of those participating. Winners would receive a free knife and either an AKTI membership or one year's renewal.
Any ideas for topics?
Jan

------------------
Jan Billeb
Executive Director, AKTI

As the new treasurer the word giveaway always gets my attention.

Hope it sparks some great topics.

------------------
CJ Buck
Buck Knives, Inc.
AKTI Member #PR00003

How about this for a possible discussion topic: "Things you do to generate interest in knives".

Here's what I do:

I keep a few extra knives around, in good condition and in their original boxes, so I can give them as spur of the moment gifts for any occasion. Also, knowing I have a spare, I can give away the one in my pocket to make someone's day. An example: my brother in law was really good to me when I was visiting the town where he lives for a job-related conference. The subject of knives came up. He didn't have a good pocket knife, so I gave him the Delica I was carrying. The next step is to give people a gift membership in AKTI.

Maybe I'll offer to do a sharpening seminar for a local Boy Scout troop.

I agree that this forum needs more traffic. I hope this helps.

Regards,
David Rock

------------------
AKTI Member # A000846
Stop when you get to bone.

I gave my friend two knives last year for the holidays. Since she was a knife-newbie, I chose liner locks for the "something different" (I was astounded when I stumbled into a knife shop for the first time in my life and saw knives that could be opened and closed with just one hand) -thing and pretty colors. One IRC friend of mine used to say "boring" every time I started talking knives. Once I gave her an URL to some site about United Cutlery -made fantasy knives, designed by Gil Hibben. I don't know if she has bought any knives, but she said she would.

Jani

------------------
Two important questions in life:
Do they have a catalog?
Did you know there's a town called "Batman" in Turkey?

Discussion topics - besides how to get switchblade laws repealed and why it's impossible?

How about "How can we, individually or collectively, overcome the cringe factor - people's fear of knives - even knives in their own hands, and specifically their fear of folding knives?"

I meet people who will cut up food with an eight inch chef's knife, but who will jump three feet if I open a wee pocket knife for some mundane cutting chore.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

I like James' topic. Around the dorms, I know that a knife isn't something you want to just whip out and use. However, once I get to know people, and they know that I'm a nice guy, then I feel okay about using it to cut open a bag of chips or my mail, in front of them (sorry run-on sentence). I think that it would be great if we could all contribute to changing the uninformed publics view of people who carry knives.

Just a thought.

~Mitch

Why have legislation against switch blades? Are they any different than the "automatic" knives that have shown up lately?

------------------
The only stupid question is the one that goes unadked.
Alan L. Burnham
BCC 863

Hi Jan, good start. Sorry to be delinquent.

BTW Automatics are Switchblades.

Here are a few suggestions for topics.

What we need more than anything is a "greater awareness and higher level awareness in more people".

A way to change the attitude and associated fear when someone takes out a knife to do a cutting chore. A one liner that goes straight home with logic and truth. a one liner that says; no need for fear, I'm not a bad guy, a knife is not a bad thing, how did you expect that you would cut open that box anyway? etc.

Soooo...Give us our "one liner".

We also need a way to reach young children. Provide simple, responsible "teaching". "Don't cross the steet without looking both ways for cars". This doesn't say streets or cars are bad and caution is necessary. We could use some really good ideas for "how to teach the children". How to make it happen, without offending anyone.

Jan - do you have the contest format laid out yet? We did a contest where we offered a variety of desirable items and each contestant selected his/her prize.

We need a way to make a thousand letters on a particular subject reach the right person within a one week window. How?

I'll donate a SpydeRench when we get to contestin'.

sal

We need a way to make a thousand letters on a particular subject reach the right person within a one week window. How?

Sal,

I would recommend Email for as many members as possible. It is faster and less expensive than the bulk mailings that the NRA has used for the same purpose. It is also more active than posting on a Webpage.

------------------
AKTI Member No. A000370

The word of mouth I think is the most powerful tool. I think if we can spread accurate, and i stress accurate, information, then that will be our greatest strength.

------------------
-Humpty

AKTI Member # A000984
Proverbs 23:2

For a "legislative action alert," e-mail to the members who have e-mail would be a good idea. But we need a thousand members sending old fashioned paper letters to whatever authority figures who need to be educated.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

James,

You have described the model I had in mind.

An E-mail alert to AKTI members with the information that they would need to send paper letters to their elected representatives.

Northwest Cutlery is using a Commercial Email Distribution List Service that customers sign up for through their Website. I don't know how much this would cost or if it would be practical to set up a private Email distribution that members can join on the Website. But it might be an efficient way of getting information to members to take action.

------------------
AKTI Member No. A000370

Hello,
Read this post because I'm putting off handicapping FG's Friday races and I'd read the rest of the forum.
As a non-member, maybe I can shed some light on your efforts. As a gun owner, I can understand why I should join the NRA but as a knife owner why should I join the AKTI and what is the AKTI? I've carried a pocket knife since the age of 12 and have about a thousand dollars worth of quality pocket knives and if I have these questions........
On the subject of other peoples reactions to a knife carrier-men are only allowed 3 fashion accessiors-a simple watch-a fine pen and a sharp knife. If people won't accept that my Gen1 is a part of my wardrobe, I just tell them that I'm using publc transportation.
Merry Xmas
Richard

------------------

We have some great ideas going here! The e-mail alert idea is terrific and I have tried to keep that information on members when available. Not sure about the technology of doing it, but will add that to our list to work on.

Format for giveaway? The board talked about entering names of everyone who contributed to a discussion (x the number of times they posted) and then having a random drawing. Other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks, Sal, for donating a SpydeRench. We also have a Spyderco that Joyce L. redonated from Blade Show, and a Benchmade 720 Les de Asis will donate. So, we have enough "giveaways" to do three topics. We need to pick the topics and set some timeframe.

The question of why join AKTI is really important to helping get new members. Thanks for bringing it up here. How about getting some "answers" that we could use in a section on our web site - and list your names. I think that would be a great addition - and would put ideas in the words of the important people - the members!

Happy New Year!
Jan

------------------
Jan Billeb
Executive Director, AKTI

The possibility of a list server of some sort was mentioned earlier, and there are a number of free servers out there already. The cost is merely an advertisement on the end of the message. I don't know that this would be any handier than merely makeing a mailing list in your e-mail software, but it would allow other members to also send information, were that something you desired.

As far as spreading the word, I would agree that person-to-person contact is best. A good news story never hurt
smile.gif
. One thing the NRA is big on is instruction. Knives take a wee bit less, but you could organize some short classes on safe use/sharpening/care of knives (The boy scouts and other similar organizations might like that).

Why join AKTI?
Because I carry and use a pocket knife everyday, and if I wandered into the wrong city, it could get me jail time. I don't like that. (If you need a name, e-mail me)

Stryver, A new AKTI member, and NRA certified instructor, but _not_ an NRA member.

One good subject would be ideas on how to generate funds for AKTI and subsequently more members!

Jan,

It is easier to get a renewel than a first time member. I have a great idea. Call me!

1-800-969-7771!

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator
Do it! Do it right! Do it right NOW!

Support BladeForums! Check out the BFC Store!
www.bladeforums.com/store
Subscribe our NEW online magazine!
www.bladeforums.com/magazine
Enter our Raffle!
www.bladeforums.com/raffle

It's time to get people back to thinking of knives as tools, not weapons. I'm always pointing out to non-knifers that anything can be used by a weapon if one is so inclined. Also most murders that occur with a knife involve kitchen cutlery because they are usually spur of the moment.
It's funny how those who raise their eyebrows at my knives are the first to ask me to cut something that needs cutting.

------------------
lifter
Phil. 4:13

Dave
Wharton,NJ

The thing is, knives are tools and the fact is, that's what we should be out there telling people...

And about the topic, what about this one?
tongue.gif

------------------
-Humpty

AKTI Member # A000984
Proverbs 23:2

I just got back from SHOT Show, (Shooting,Hunting,Outdoor,Trade Show) in Las Vegas and had the opportunity to speak with our distributors from Europe. They are hoping we in the US stand firm and set an example for the rest of the world.

Lets keep this thread going and the ideas coming. This is so worth our time and energy. Somehow we have to get beyond preaching to the choir and get our messages out into that knife-cringing public that will control our destiny eventually. We have to ensure that they are educated when that time comes.

I get tapped by our local hunter safety instructor, who also uses one of our meeting rooms, to give a knife safety, blade choice, sharpening instructional during his one day hunter safety classes. Always goes over well and the new knowledge is really appreciated.

Any ideas that focus on delivering a rational message to the non knife public?

------------------
CJ Buck
Buck Knives, Inc.
AKTI Member #PR00003

Back