• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

display options

I was thinking of making a wall display of my Khuk's, or would it be best to go with some sort of a display case? Any suggestions?

Hmm display options...
this is something that I have pondered more than once. There are a lot of factors that go into this decsion. 1) do you have kids? 1a)do you plan on having kids soon?

If the answer to either of these is no, then I would go with hanging them on the wall. One of the wall hanging ideas that I have had was to remove a chunk of drywall and replace wiht a sheet of plywood. This way you can cover the whole thing over and make it look like continuos wall, but still be be able to hang many khuks.

If the answer was yes to either of the above questions I would go with a locked display case, so as to keep the little ones safe from an errant blade.

Now if you really want design ideas those I have plenty of, having spent some time building cabinets for a living. One of these days when I have the sapce I will build a very large display case, most likely out of mahogany and cherry. Interior lights, humidity control, and lots and lots of storage space
smile.gif

While a custom made display case would be ideal, in the absence of such a luxury I have been able to make bookshelves do double duty. Note: no children in home.
Berk

My parents handed down to me there China cabinet It's over 75 yrs old,and 400 lbs. of solid oak. It's a great way to display khuks! There are many styles on the market and most will have interior lighting! This will also help keep dust off of your knives!

------------------
Chris B.

Or make it top heavy and tip!!! It's almost 7 feet tall With the crown, almost 5 feet wide! They sure don't make em'like that anymore!! The crown comes off to help with transport.I'm as proud of it as I am of my Khukuris
smile.gif
!!!

------------------
Chris B.

[This message has been edited by SkagSig40 (edited 02-23-2001).]

A couple nails, some very thin black wire and a drywall full of holes that are easy to fill and paint over as the collection changes.

But I am a bachelor with friends who know these things are real sharp, a girlfriend who knows I'm a bit 'round the twist and a 27 yr old son who knows how to handle them.

View

------------------
JP

Matt,
I have been interested in antique weapons since I was about 12 or 13 and amassed a major collection of Civil War, various military carbines and assorted knives, pistols, etc. Sold off that lot to pay for my last years of college and started on the kukris about 5 years ago. I was given my first kukri in 1969. Still have it. Very mediocre, white bone grip (cracked) and stamped India. It worked just fine.

------------------
JP

I tried the Bill Martino method of putting them under my bed, but it was getting too hard to sleep and the bed kept falling over.

------------------
JP

:
And isn't that at least 10 Kothimodas I see hanging in one row?
Along with several handled either in bone or ivory?

I would love to be able to spend a couple or four very full and long days at John's place just to ogle and study John's collection. And ask a million and three questions.
cool.gif

If I had a collection that vast and valuable I would have to live in a safe room with multiple combination locks just so I would feel safe in leaveing the house for any length of time.
frown.gif
&
mad.gif

And John, what kind of feelings do you and any company you may have feel in that room, other than being perfectly safe?
I guess what I'm asking is, do the khukuris talk to you or are there feelings of war & peace, actually I guess what I'm trying to ask is very vague and unclear. It's just that in certain museums,like the gun museum in Claremore where many old weapons that belonged to both the lawmen and lawbreakers there is a certain feeling that's also hard to describe. Perhaps a feeling of unrest or ill at ease, sorta antsy... Just hard to describe...

Almost forgot myself and wrote about knives, swords, 'hawks and guns and school back in the good old days, getting the post off topic.
smile.gif

------------------

>>>>---Yvsa-G@WebTV.net---->®

"VEGETARIAN".............
Indin word for lousy hunter.

Tom, it would be my pleasure to have you come and see the collection. I'm sure you would enjoy handling them.

There is definitely a feeling you get being in this room that is unsettling to some, mysterious to a few and yet just a bunch of knives to others. I find myself just walking in here late at night when all is quiet and that's when there is truly a sense of history. Many of the individual pieces carry strong karma while some are totally silent. There are a lot of stories in these blades.

I have probably gone a bit overboard on protection for my collection, but I have to tell you the expense of these measures is worth the piece of mind. They are also heavily insured as a collection but could any of these antiques really be replaced?

------------------
JP

There is sprinkler system and although it's not real attractive it lowered the insurance rates. I rather have wet kukris than no kukris...

------------------
JP

I am going to show the picture to my wife so that I can say "See, I don't have THAT many..."

rf

Back