display stands for bowies?

Jason Fry

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I'm looking for ideas for a display stand for a bowie knife. Everything I'm finding online is a cheap POS to hold a shiny factory built thing. Could you folks show me some pictures of custom stands built to match a knife? The knife in question has scrim on both sides of the handle, so the ability to hold the knife with either side out would be a plus.

21684479210_783396ec18_c.jpg

25192135533_292979c479_b.jpg

25723639781_13dda5d090_b.jpg

25518105450_3a520d4201_b.jpg

Last edited:
I'm curious as well. I am trying to find one and most that you can just buy (Amazon, eBay) are junk.

I like how @Mecha displays his work. He uses copper wire and bends it to fit. You could go a step further and find a hunk of wood for the base and drill a hole in it and epoxy the copper wire in. Now you have a base and can bend that wire around until to get to where you want to go

I made one, one time with wood that matched the handle, for the base. I then made a 4 sided small container to sit on it that you could put the bottom part of the guard in it and suspend the knife above it.

I'd love to see more examples as we all need more knives in more places.

I may try to work part of this in. Cast iron ornamental work from the same cemetery gate as the knife’s Guard.

Attachments

• 9B3C0D84-831F-4D05-8A40-A4289A70EC57.jpeg
    9B3C0D84-831F-4D05-8A40-A4289A70EC57.jpeg
    61.8 KB · Views: 23
I'm looking for ideas for a display stand for a bowie knife. Everything I'm finding online is a cheap POS to hold a shiny factory built thing. Could you folks show me some pictures of custom stands built to match a knife? The knife in question has scrim on both sides of the handle, so the ability to hold the knife with either side out would be a plus.
This is very cool! :)
25723639781_13dda5d090_b.jpg

Here's display stands I have made. The last photo for the two Don Hanson folders are simply two black plastic coated paper clips bent in a particular way.
My thinking on knife stands is that they should safely support the knife and complement it but not be so elaborate that they take attention away from the knife.
027.JPG 2048X1536.JPG IMG_0367.JPG IMG_1327.JPG IMG_0368.JPG 018.JPG

large.jpg

xlarge.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Last edited:
Good thread, Jason.

Kevin Jones Kevin Jones your fixed blade stands are SO ornate, and well crafted. Props.

And then the folded paper clip simplicity. Genius.

Not much good for Bowies, but I just wrapped up some tanto and a waki, and the little $20 stand from sword buyers guide isn't too bad.
Very easy to assemble and came with decent hardware.
kQUOpxO.jpg

I have used Plexiglas that I cut to a stair-step kind of configuration, using a template I’d drawn up, drilled appropriate holes and then used all-thread sleeved with clear tubing and fastened together with stainless jam and acorn nuts.

I’ve used that setup in drawers for many years now...can be made any size depending on the knife, I made mine to hold 5 each.

Still my favorite knife ever. It's the primary inspiration for one I have incoming. I won't say from whom since I suspect he will post it here at some point. I am going to try and find something like your display box for mine.
Can't wait to see it.
One option is to look at the display boxes that you can get for the higher end model cars. You might need the 1:12 size for a large Bowie.

Still my favorite knife ever.
That knife has influence FAR and WIDE. Look at my avatar. THAT knife was the example I showed the graphic designer.

That said, this knife brought Sam to maddening tears. Long story, which took a year to resolve...

Back