DIY etching machine ?

Does anybody have plans for making an etching machine? I searched the archives and saw Allen Blade had some plans, but he doesn't have them anymore. Do any of you still have a copy from him?
Thanks, Joe

Thank you Pawnbroker, I'm looking forward to getting them. Have you tried making one yet? How do the etches turn out?
Joe

I did post this in another forum and I hope I can help someone here. This is so simple to make but is good enough for high value knives. Assuming you have a stencil and the proper electrolite for the type of steel a very simple etching machine can be made in the following manor. Cut a piece of 416 or 304 about 3/8"x1"x2" long. Certainly you can clean all sides but go to a polished or near polished condition on one end. On the opposite end attatch a softer piece of wire about 18" long. To cne end of a piece of copper of say 4" long x 1"x1/4" attach another piece of wire the same length.Place a piece of felt cloth-the common type- over the polished end of the stainless steel block or wand. Attach the wire of the wand to the(-) minus side of a 6 volt flashlite battery or charger. Attach the wire from the copper plate to the (+) plus side of the flashlite battery or charger. Place the knife on the copper plate and attach the stencil with scotch tape. Moisten the felt on the wand with the electrolite.Bring the wand in contact with the stencil and count 1, 2, 3, and remove the wand. Do this three times and then check by lifting end of stencil. Repeat if necessary. Using too much electrilite may flood the stencil edges and cause a print around the edge of the stencil. Holding the wand down for a long time may cause the print to smudge or the stencil to be destroyed as may occur with more voltage. Heat is created. The end of the wand will darken with use. Simply clean with some fine steel wool. Frank.

Back