DIY ideas for a machete scabbard

Any ideas for a cheap covering for a machete? The machete in question is a 12 inch Tram. I was going to use a piece of kydex I have but it's overkill and a bit heavy for a machete I think. It's of the thick variety. I was thinking maybe a soda bottle molded with a hair dryer. Not sure about any kind of retention I could get from that though.

I tried to use plastic from an old dog food bin by cutting it out with a hacksaw. I then drilled holes in it and zip tied it down. It did not end up so well but I learned a lot in the process.

i used some plastic rain gutter lengths that i bought at home depot. put the stove on broil and placed the material inside on a cookie sheet and wrapped in tin foil, heated till pliable.

ryan

Any ideas for a cheap covering for a machete? The machete in question is a 12 inch Tram. I was going to use a piece of kydex I have but it's overkill and a bit heavy for a machete I think. It's of the thick variety. I was thinking maybe a soda bottle molded with a hair dryer. Not sure about any kind of retention I could get from that though.

I made a couple Kydex machete sheaths for Bear the Dog using .060" Kydex and they did not seem overly weighty. They were for long machetes too, not the 12". He gave me a 12" Tram that I have never made a sheath for it.

I don't think the Kydex will be too heavy if you have some .060".

The trick is clearance for the gummy blade. I made a form of 1/8" thick spruce and added a pinch point to keep them from rattling.

I picked up some bass wood at the hobby shop and made a sheath. Gave it a quick coat of spray paint, but I think I'll go back and hit it with fiberglass resin to strengthen it, but other than being a little soft, it works great.

Forget making one - I used to do that too. Made some cool Kydex rigs.

Get yourself a Vietnam Replica version for $5 from Smokey Mountain Knife Works.
Cut it down. I use these for my custom Ontario 12". Put some 550 cord on the outside with a pouch and you got yourself a cheap rig that rocks.

ON18P.jpg

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerc..."+Black+Composition+Machete+Sheath/ON18P.html

Oh yeah they even have an emergency sharpener on them - I would not personally use this as my main sharpener - but in the field it is better than nothing.

Forget making one - I used to do that too. Made some cool Kydex rigs.

Get yourself a Vietnam Replica version for $5 from Smokey Mountain Knife Works.

I was going to say make one out of plywood, but damn, nice find! From the pix I can't tell if it will fit a milspec web belt - can you confirm/deny?

I was going to say make one out of plywood, but damn, nice find! From the pix I can't tell if it will fit a milspec web belt - can you confirm/deny?

It fits the mil-spec web belt perfectly. You can also make a nice drop loop with the slot that it has on it too - keeping the pivot point.

For $5 it isn't worth my time to make em anymore for my machete.

Don't get me wrong - my machete is invaluable but it doesn't mean if I make a sheath it is really any better at the job of being a sheath.

The machete on the right is a $5 Harbor Freight special from a few years ago. The sheath it came with was some cheap, thin fabric. It was pretty much useless except as the pattern for what you see below. I covered the sheath with a couple layers of duct tape, then covered the whole thing with one layer of camo duct tape. It works quite well.

choppers.jpg

a popular cheap DIY method involves cutting a piece of pvc and pressing it flat after heating it up with a heat gun or placing it in the oven :thumbup: :) you can then drill holes to add cordage for a dangler or baldric carry setup :D

EDIT: heres a link, http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782281

That is a good ideea, I use pvc covered in leather or cordura (black&camo).
Cheap and easy, great diy project.
Not to mention that you can use the machete with the sheat on (you`ll get the ideea;)), if you only want to make your point.

Back