DIY solutions for slippery rocks?

I am curious if any of you have tested homemade ideas for adding traction to footwear for jetty hopping. Specifically, has anybody here tried applying epoxy to the soles and then sprinkling some traction sand? How about sandpaper?

Thanks!

PS I have heard of aluminum spiked golf soles, kold kutter screws, etc.

image.jpeg Some waders for trout fishermen have felt on the soles. There are also pull on ice cleats for traction on ice and snow.

Bite the bullet and buy a pair of Korkers sandals to put under your boots. Then duct tape around and over the laces. They are the jetty safety standard for a reason.... they work.

I recently bought a slip on crampon thingy for my 5 year old daugther (XS size) from China. It has some spikes on the bottom and attach to your shoe with a silicone-like material band. They are not meant to climb the Eiger North Face since they don't have front points but to avoid the mandatory slips on had pack when thrashing arround with a snow sled or walking on the streets of a ski resort they should do well.

Cheap, and for regular sizes you can have them in several different flavours (spikes, spring like stainless coils, etc.) I beilieve spikes (crampon like) are better suied for hard snow while the other solutions will work better for slippery rocks.

What do pros use? I am pretty sure everything is already invented.

Mikel

Back