DIY thumbstud replacement?

I would like a more square cut thumb stud, and to make it ambi. Can you guys recommend a double stud that is known to fit the factory Large 21 hole well? I read an old post that Benchmade large Griptilian studs fit. That would be great as I have one I can rob and find a replacement for it later.

Thanks for your help.

Knifekits.com carries a bunch, if anyone knows of the exact hole size of the factory large 21 blade that would be helpful too.

Thanks.

Not exactly sure what your plans are but the CRK stud is press fitted, so you are going to have to find a way to remove it.

Funny this topic is brought up the same time a cracked blade thread is going... Good luck OP. New blades are $135 plus shipping charges. I got used to or perhaps wised up to the studs. I just left middle finger flick my wife's right handed small 21. I can open my lefty with a right middle finger flick. Spyderco taught me how to open any knife with a thumb or middle finger. After years of flipping knives, I can open lefty or right handed knives with either hand. What was I rambling about... Oh, leave the stud alone.

Rick and Morty reference:
Daddy, leave the stud alone.
All have knife blades, all can be saved, all can be taken.

Last edited:
Funny this topic is brought up the same time a cracked blade thread is going... Good luck OP. New blades are $135 plus shipping charges. I got used to or perhaps wised up to the studs. I just left middle finger flick my wife's right handed small 21. I can open my lefty with a right middle finger flick. Spyderco taught me how to open any knife with a thumb or middle finger. After years of flipping knives, I can open lefty or right handed knives with either hand. What was a rambling about... oh, leave the stud alone.

Rick and Morty reference:
Daddy, leave the stud alone.
All have knife blades, all can be saved, all can be taken.

Yeah, this. Proceed at your own risk. If you crack the blade now or if it cracks down the road, you own it.

I'll assume the lecturing is out of genuine concern and not just a desire to lecture, but I understand the risks.

Now, can anybody answer my question?

May I ask how long you have had a CRK? The stud takes getting used to. Once I did I want no other thumb stud. I say this because removing the thumb stud with the jaws of life, or whatever similar that would be needed, seems super sketchy on a $400+ knife. To each their own though. Either way I support you. Whoooooooo

I hate CRK thumbstuds! I think I have bought then sold 3-4 CRKs over the years, always sold them b/c of the pointy thumbstud. If there was an easy replacement I would be all over that!!

May I ask how long you have had a CRK? The stud takes getting used to. Once I did I want no other thumb stud. I say this because removing the thumb stud with the jaws of life, or whatever similar that would be needed, seems super sketchy on a $400+ knife. To each their own though. Either way I support you. Whoooooooo
I've had two of them over the years and have hated the thumbstuds on both.

I popped my studs out all the time when I used to send blades over to Paul Bos for hardening. I just used a hammer and pin punch. I used to put in the griptiilan studs, but some modifying has to take place to the studs if you want them to fit into the blade hole (on the small seb). On the large it isn't a problem, they fit from the factory but they look silly just too small for the frame/blade. I've punched the single stud from about five crks, never had a crack or an issue at all. Not to say you won't! I personally would leave it in unless you find someone to make up some customs.

I personally don't like the factory crk studs myself and they never really grew on me. Would much prefer a Michael Raymond type stud on mine, works much better than the factory from those I've handled.

I'm currently having some studs made up for mine, I'll let you know how it goes.

I popped my studs out all the time when I used to send blades over to Paul Bos for hardening. I just used a hammer and pin punch. I used to put in the griptiilan studs, but some modifying has to take place to the studs if you want them to fit into the blade hole (on the small seb). On the large it isn't a problem, they fit from the factory but they look silly just too small for the frame/blade. I've punched the single stud from about five crks, never had a crack or an issue at all. Not to say you won't! I personally would leave it in unless you find someone to make up some customs.

I personally don't like the factory crk studs myself and they never really grew on me. Would much prefer a Michael Raymond type stud on mine, works much better than the factory from those I've handled.

I'm currently having some studs made up for mine, I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks for the info. Any chance you have pics of a large with Griptilian studs in place?

Thanks for the info. Any chance you have pics of a large with Griptilian studs in place?

Here you go. It’s not my knife or video but I ran across it a while ago.

I’ve got about 20 CRK folders and carry at least one daily. I’ve gotten accustomed to them on the Sebenza, Umnumzaan, and Inkosi but still don’t love them. I gave a small Inkosi to my wife as an early Christmas gift. She likes it a lot but immediately commented that the studs were a bit uncomfortable.

I greatly prefer double studs because I typically pinch folder studs/holes between my thumb & finger to open them. If this was an easy/risk-free mod I would likely do it.

Last edited:
Back