1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DLC coatings and knife cleaning oils that are food safe

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Tony303, Jun 14, 2018 at 8:54 PM.

1. Tony303

Tony303

May 13, 2015
    hey guys

Bought a Microtech Socom Elite folder with a DLC coating and wanted to know if it is safe to used for food preparation? also i used Benchmade blue lube and other lubricants to clean this knife, are there any cleaning oils that are "hazardous" "Cancerous" when ingesting and are not supposed to be used on a knife for food preparation? thanks guys

Mark R

2. dave82

dave82 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 17, 2011
    frog lube, edci, and mineral oil can be used

3. Deinos

Deinos Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Balistol is also food safe (hit or miss on whether you will like the fragrance though...)

4. Comeuppance

Comeuppance Fixed Blade EDC Emisssary Gold Member

Jan 12, 2013
    That stuff smells atrocious. I bought a knife off a guy on eBay and didn’t see the note about how he was going to coat the whole knife in that prior to shipment. I have never spent so much time cleaning a knife to get rid of that terrible odor. I swear I could smell it across the room.

Deinos likes this.
  5. herisson

herisson Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Camelia oil is what you want : prevents corrosion, lubes the pivot, nurtures the wood scales, easy to wipe off (very fluid), no smell, no taste and totally food safe. Prefer a japanese brand, they are pickier as anybody about their cutting tools.

6. Deinos

Deinos Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2016
    LOL, tend to agree, which is why I included that addendum. Luckily, it doesn't stay with the knife too long if you don't go crazy applying it. I tend to use it on firearms when I use it at all. Good stuff, but yeah... that odor.

Some say it smells like licorice... I would agree... if you also wiped your *** with said licorice...

7. Lodd

Lodd Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2015
    There is probably something wrong with me, but I like the way ballistol smells.

It's great for cleaning and coating your knives, but as Deinos said, it doesn't stay on for very long. I've realised that for lubing moving parts, I would be better off with something else. Right now I'm using victorinox oil for moving parts. It's food safe, but doesn't really stay on much longer than ballistol. It's also very expensive compared to ballistol.

Ballistol is pretty cheap though, and it probably has a 1000 uses. Everything that WD40 does, ballistol does better. (Except maybe the smell, but that can go either way). So I would give it a shot and see what you think about it. If you don't like it, you can probably use it for something else and you won't have wasted your money.

Deinos likes this.
  8. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    Be careful what you use if you're in California: everything causes cancer there.:D

Bill DeShivs likes this.
  9. cabfrank

cabfrank

Jun 21, 2010
    I use Ballistol. The smell fades, and I don't find it horrible to start with. I also did some research on this and found that TiCN coating is safe. I haven't looked up any info about DLC, so I don't know about that one.

10. TommyG19

TommyG19 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Another Ballistol user. I like that it is food safe. I like CLP type products. I tend not to experience the reliability issues others experience with firearms and I suppose folders, and so I don't find I need a different product. And it conditions leather and wood at the same time it protects the metal parts. The smell is fine, just kind of smells like my work bench, to me.

11. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Iirc blue lube says food safe on the bottle? I know it's mineral oil based.

In any case just use mineral oil it's 100% food safe and is the base of most lubes. It's also much cheaper.

Dlc is food safe as far as I know unless it chips off which won't happen since it's so hard. You would have to scratch it with diamonds to come off.

Just use soap and water for cleaning. I also use rubbing alcohol, zippo lighter fluid and acetone for cleaning.

12. Tony303

Tony303

May 13, 2015
    Wow so much good info here guys : ) i contacted Microtech in regards to DLC's finishes on food safety and they informed me that DLC's are indeed food safe and a technician there recommended EDCI Aegis as a food safe and anti corrosion protector on the knife.

Frog lube, Mineral oil and ballistol are the first time i hear about these brands, Gonna look them up and see what other options are there. Thanks guys for the input, helps so much.

cabfrank and Deinos like this.
  13. GregNYC

GregNYC Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Another Ballistol user here. I use it on my kitchen knives. I've also tested Tuf-Glide, Tuf-Cloth, Militec-1 and Eezox. Ballistol is easier to work with than mineral oil. Yes it smells like puke or rotten eggs, but I'm getting used to it. My wife hates it ans won't let me rub down the stainless steel kitchen sink with it.

Eezox is a great cleaner and protectant. It wipes off much more cleanly than Ballstol, but I think it has some carcinogens in it - very bad around food. Militec I found too gooey. I like the convenience of Tuf-Cloth, but don't know whether it's safe for food-preparation tools. Anyone?

14. cabfrank

cabfrank

Jun 21, 2010
    The best description I've heard about the smell of Ballistol is liquorice mixed with gym socks .I sort of agree. The liquorice smell is more prominent though.

Deinos likes this.
  15. cabfrank

cabfrank

Jun 21, 2010
    And it does fade. It is definitely not as bad as the smell of other lubes, as far as I am concerned. Cue the jokes...

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018 at 4:24 AM
  16. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Edci is well received in the knife community. I need to get some and see how well it does for rust prevention on high carbon steel. It's not a cleaner or a lube.

Iirc They used to have a lube but the company stopped doing business and recently revived with new owners and offer the rust prevention stuff as of now.