DMT Extra-Extra-Fine

Hi
Anyone had used the DMT diasharp Extra-Extra-Fine (D8EE)? I'm thinking on purchasing one and I wonder is it worth it?:confused:

It's a good stone, but there are better 8,000 grit waterstones out there. Make sure to use it with water or slightly soapy water or it will be unforgiving.

I has it but do not use - do not see practical difference with Extra Fine.
However Extra Extra Coarse - really cool thing!

Thanks, Vassili.

I have one, but other than ceramic (and xf diamond) I have no other exceptionally fine stones, so I can't provide the comparisons that Thom, Vassili and others might provide.

Even 2000 and 2500 grit wet/dry on a hard-backed surface will leave a better finish (something Bill DeShivs has been trying to tell me for years it seems :eek: - Sorry, Bill :( ).

I haven't tried it on a continuous surface like the diasharps, but the perforated surface xfine left a bit to be desired. The edge it left was great though, nice and fine but with decent slicing ability. Unfortunately it left an uneven finish (cosmetic) and didn't give good feedback while sharpening. If I were to get a new one I'd use it for microbeveling only, where the diamonds would do the most good on the modern high-carbide steels.

Back