Do 110’s Loosen up with use?

Hi guys n gals. A couple months back, I purchased my first Buck folding knife. A beautiful SK Blade 110 with the burlap Micarta. Beautiful! Admittedly, I haven’t used it much yet, but am wanting to familiarize myself with it more. So, it’s very tight to open and I need to put a lot of pressure on the back lock to close. Is this a normal characteristic for this knife that will get smoother with use? Any input is appreciated.

Because Buck knives are made with a Forever Warranty they come from the factory pretty tight. They must be broken in with use. With the standard 110's with 420HC they usually take anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks to break in smoothly to butter opening and closing.

The S30V and other harder steels seem to take a bit longer. I have a routine of opening and closing and repeat washing and oiling until they are where I love them. YMMV

I just put a generous amount of oil at the blade pivot point and just work it back and forth. Won’t take too long to get it like you like it.

I get mine to the point of being able to pinch the blade and drop for one handed opening. And one handed closing as well

Yes they will “break-in”. I would suggest rinsing the pivot area under hot tap water while working the blade open and closed. Add some liquid dish soap to the pivot area and work the blade before moving onto the water. Once all the soap is rinsed out, “this should also remove any residual buffing compound and or manufacturing crud” blow out any remaining water and lubricate with your favorite product. If you intend to use your blade for food prep or dining I’d suggest mineral oil as a lubricant.

There is also a food grade silicone spray if you can find it. Mine came from a restaurant supply store.

and for what it’s worth. I have been opening my 110 and others and sticking them in the dishwasher for years.

no Problems.

This is a common complaint,get an old toothbrush and load the whole blade with Dawn dish soap. Turn on the hot water and let the knife sit in a pan to loosen the crud polishing compound that was left from Buck. Take the knife out of the pan and scrub with the toothbrush on both sides inside the blade well. Wash then in cold water and close the knife and look to see that the blade is centered. If it is oil the blade pivot and open and close it 10 times. If it is still tight. I go further with a rubber mallet. This being your first I suggest you send it in. they might take it apart or just blow air down the blade well. The rocker can have grit from pivot to release. If you have time on your hands repeat and it WILL get looser over time, that is if the blade is centered.Remember to oil the whole rocker and pivots for the blade and rocker.If there is black residue clean off with a Q-tip where ever you see it because that is the major problem. I myself do more because I own hundreds of 110's and I have learned when to stop. What you are looking for is when it snaps open and snaps closed, then your knife is working right.

Last edited:
Yes my August botm 110 is still a bit stiff closing, I’m still working on it and it has loosened up some. When it’s warmed up after cycling it for several minutes it works good but after it cools down it doesn’t close all the way. Eventually it will get there. I’d rather them be snug than wobbly loose when new.

I felt compelled to add to this post.Last April,as a quarantine treat to myself,I impulsively bought another 110.I noticed the new 110 was more tightly constructed then my others.I found that there was ABSOLUTELY NO PLAY in any direction but it was still smooth.I don't think some people realize assembling pinned knives is an art as well as a science.I hope this is the direction Buck is going and this not a "one off".I am very pleased.Kudos to Buck!

The one I got for my HS graduation in 2012 was not, but the Ebony 110 I bought my dad for Father's Day a couple years ago and the one I bought my cousin for his HS graduation last year both were.
They break in with a bit of oil and normal operation.

Congrats on the new 110 btw.

Back