Do I stand alone in the Spyderco World?

My love for Spyderco Knives started in the early 90's with their pocket knives and continued to grow as the Company did. I love the Spyderco Folders that I have and wish I still had the ones that I let go over the years. I spent many years not owning or even liking Spyderco Fixed Blades. I bought my first Spyderco Fixed Blade last year and now own 5. I have come to realize that I am now a Spyderco Fixed Blade fan, and two stand out to the point that I put them ahead of all my Spyderco Folders. I will always have a Spyderco Folder in my pocket but I am now such a fan of their fixed blades especially two that they come first in my affection for Spyderco knives. The two Fixed Blades I am talking about are the Province and Genzow HatchetHawk. I would have never thought that a Spyderco Fixed Blade and a Hatchet/Tomahawk hybrid would be my two top cutting tools from Spyderco. So as the title ask, Do I stand alone in the Spyderco World? I am the only person that puts Spyderco Fixed Blades above my Spyderco Folders?

I think it mostly depends on if you're the type of person to favor fixed blade over folders. I do like Spyderco fixed blades, but living in a metropolitan area I time to go for folders more. There is also a lot more variety in their folders and exotic steels. I will add that I think the Spyderco G clip for carrying fixed blades is probably my favorite attachment.

I tend to buy/carry a fixed blade when I’m wanting more durability than a folder. No lock, no pivot, no mechanisms, less voids in the structure, ect. I’m sure it’s not a huge deal but the only reason I don’t have a Spyderco fixed blade is because they drill a hole in the blades. This unnecessary, not helpful & blade weakening Achilles heel is kind of a punch in the d!ck for the end user. I would buy a Waterway today if I could get one without a hole drilled in the blade. I’ll probs pick one up eventually.

I’ve had my first Spyderco (folder) since the late ‘90s and there is always one in my pocket. I do love fixed blades but I just don’t feel right carrying them, honestly can’t explain it any better than that. For whatever reason unbeknownst to me I just can’t get into Spyderco fixed blades. I know they will be practical, comfortable, useful, well made, and a whole host of other adjectives but I just don’t see any that I have to have. Perhaps it’s just knowing that they won’t get used, but hell I buy other fixed blades that RARELY get used. Perhaps I’ll just be relegated to having a capable folder in my pocket.

The hole is their trademark. Almost every fixed blade has holes drilled in it, it's how handle scales are attached. I challenge anyone to find pictures of spyderco fixed blades broken at the hole.

I am new to Spycerco and still basking in the folders aura. Not as much of a selection in their FB's.

I ordered the bow river today. It's my first spyderco fixed blade. I couldn't resist for the price.

I have swamp rat, cold steel and a few other fixed blades. I don't get to use them much. So I've never felt that have to have it feeling. A few wants but no "needs".

Folders, yeah... I ordered a Cruwear native5 too. Lol

I've got 133 Spyders at last count and only 7 of those are fixed blades and I never carry any of them.

I personally don't favor fixed blades over folders but that doesn't mean I don't like them; wouldn't have bought any if I didn't. 2 are Mules in w/different steel/handles and 5 are SD type blades. SD carry is my "thing." So, I also have 2 Street Bowies (DLC & Satin); Street Beat, Ronin and a Reverse.

But, do you stand alone in your preference for Spyder fixed blades over folders?

Unlikely but I doubt that most people buy Spyders mainly for them unless they are mainly fixed blade fans in the 1st place.

Last edited:
I just want to make myself clear, I do not carry a fixed blade daily, I carry a Spyderco Folder daily. My mind set has just changed on which I feel I care more about. I guess it is because I am just so damn impressed by the Province and the Genzow. I also think it its because Spyderco has upped their game in the fixed blade category in the last two years. If the trend continues like it is, in the next two years I may have more Spyderco Fixed Blades than Folders.

The two Spyderco fixed blades that look most interesting to me are Phil Wilson Southfork and Bradley Bowie.

I'm not into fixed blades but I admit the province definitely caught my eye. I even had it in my "cart". I know it would seldom get used though unless it was kitchen duty or a camping trip. (Don't do much camping)

I have more spyderco fixed blades than I do folder. 10 fixed blades 6 folders. All but one folder is Spyder edge. All but one fixed blade is plain edge.

My love for Spyderco Knives started in the early 90's with their pocket knives and continued to grow as the Company did. I love the Spyderco Folders that I have and wish I still had the ones that I let go over the years. I spent many years not owning or even liking Spyderco Fixed Blades. I bought my first Spyderco Fixed Blade last year and now own 5. I have come to realize that I am now a Spyderco Fixed Blade fan, and two stand out to the point that I put them ahead of all my Spyderco Folders. I will always have a Spyderco Folder in my pocket but I am now such a fan of their fixed blades especially two that they come first in my affection for Spyderco knives. The two Fixed Blades I am talking about are the Province and Genzow HatchetHawk. I would have never thought that a Spyderco Fixed Blade and a Hatchet/Tomahawk hybrid would be my two top cutting tools from Spyderco. So as the title ask, Do I stand alone in the Spyderco World? I am the only person that puts Spyderco Fixed Blades above my Spyderco Folders?

I LOVE the Spyderco fixed blades, although I'd not go so far as to say I love them more than the folders. My favorites are the Lum fixed blades. I love my Darn Dao so much I own two, and I dream of the day we get a matching Lum Tanto in CPM154 and polished black G10.

I have 40+ Spydercos/Byrds..........no fixed blades. I prefer Cold Steel fixed blades, and CRKT neck knives.

I have a sizable collection of both fixed blades and folders. About 90% of my folders are Spyderco. About 30% of my fixed blades are Spyderco. Spyderco has a lot of great competition in the fixed blade market.

The problem for me is I love all things Spyderco, but I've yet to experience a fixed blade.
Every shop I've ever gone to always has the folders but none of the fixed blades. And because a fix blade is a knife I only use a few times camping every year it's hard to cough up the cash and take a chance ordering online.
I get the feeling once I do finally hold one I'll be an addict to.

The problem for me is I love all things Spyderco, but I've yet to experience a fixed blade.
Every shop I've ever gone to always has the folders but none of the fixed blades. And because a fix blade is a knife I only use a few times camping every year it's hard to cough up the cash and take a chance ordering online.
I get the feeling once I do finally hold one I'll be an addict to.

I've simplified my life. I now only buy two brands of knives. Spyderco for users, and Vehement Knives for collecting and the fun of chasing the limited drops.

I LOVE the Spyderco fixed blades, although I'd not go so far as to say I love them more than the folders. My favorites are the Lum fixed blades. I love my Darn Dao so much I own two, and I dream of the day we get a matching Lum Tanto in CPM154 and polished black G10.

I've got 3 Lum folders; the small black Nishijin Chinese folder, a large black G10 Chinese folder and a PS DLC tanto.

I've always liked the looks of the Lum tanto fixed blade but for some reason (not sure why), I have always balked at buying one. However, I just bought a small Cahuto Pukko and a Helle Hellefisk, so it's not as though I don't like fixed blade knifes of that type/style.

I also like the looks of the Dao and have always balked on that one too but, for that one, I do know why I haven't bought it. It's because of the price and the fact that I can't imagine using what a would be a $325 knife (to me) to hack away at trees/brush or zombies. LOL!

Even if I owned a Dao, I'd just grab my $20 Gerber machete to use for those purposes instead. ;)

Last edited:
I've got 3 Lum folders; the Lum small black Nishijin Chinese folder, a large black G10 Chinese folder and a PS DLC tanto.

I've always liked the looks of the Lum tanto fixed blade but for some reason (not sure why), I have always balked at buying one. However, I just bought a small Cahuto Pukko and a Helle Hellefisk, so it's not as though I don't like fixed blade knifes of that type/style.

I also like the looks of the Dao and have always balked on that one too but, for that one, I do know why I haven't bought it. It's because of the price and the fact that I can't imagine using what a would be a $325 knife (to me) to hack away at trees/brush or zombies. LOL!

Even if I owned a Dao, I'd just grab my $20 Gerber machete to use for those purposes instead. ;)

I have no actual use for fixed blades of that size at all, so all but my smallest fixed blades are essentially just collection items. The Dao is really a beautiful piece and a fitting tribute to Lum. I think Sal or Eric mentioned that they were really only going to do the one run because they loved it so much that they wanted it to make it into production. It's not a huge seller, either, mostly because of the same price issue, but I'm glad I have them. I got them a couple years ago before the big MSRP adjustment.

Back