Do it yourself and save money?

A while back another wood supplier posted a thread with some handle material questions.
One of the knife makers used it as an opportunity to complain about the cost of stabilized Maple burl blocks. Going as far as to call it criminal and that the seller was a thief. He had mentioned maple blocks selling for over $50. While he did not name names, I took it personal. So I figured I should do what I can to give all of you an alternative.

When I was growing up my dad taught me and my brothers that if you complain without doing anything about it, then you are just a whiner. But if you did something about it, that was part of growing up and being a man.

Now that I have finished complaining, here is a solution for those of you who want save or make money by doing it themselves. My information is based on 8 years of providing handle material to the knife makers here on blade forums. My feeling is that those who are vocal saying that people are being ripped off should be offered an alternative. Maybe sharing this information will help them to get started providing low price handle material to other knife makers. Or maybe they just like to complain. I am betting on #2.

Obtaining the raw wood
Good figured wood and burl is something that you are not likely to find in a lumber store so you have to look elsewhere.
Sometimes you can find decent wood on ebay. My success rate is about 50% with what I have purchased there. Not that there was a lot of bad wood but what is wanted for handle material and what is used for turning or other crafts can be totally different. Most of the time the wood will need more drying time.
Another source is Craigs List. Sometimes you can find decent raw wood but more often you can find old burl furniture that you can repurpose by cutting it up for handle material.
Another source can be Tree Service companies. Sometimes they will sell you whole logs at firewood prices.

Processing the raw wood
Unless what you find has been kiln dried or cut and allowed to dry for a few years you will need to cut and dry the wood.
Drying: When you mill the wood you need to allow at least a year of air drying time per inch of thickness. Some woods take longer. Based on my experience walnut takes about double the time needed for maple. Denser woods take even longer.

After the wood is dry (under 10% moisture content) you can cut and trim your pieces to go to the stabilizers. I suggest using K&G because I feel they are best. Some might want to try to save a bit by using a cheaper stabilizing company or do it themselves using over the counter stabilizing solutions. Based on my experience there is a big difference in what you get by having K&G do the stabilizing.

Getting the wood stabilized
When you have a batch ready for the stabilizers you will need to ship the blocks to the stabilizers. After they are done they will call and tell you what you owe. You pay a per pound rate based on the after stabilizing weight of your wood. Also the cost of shipping back to you.

Preparing the stabilized wood
When the stabilized wood comes back to you, you will need to clean it up so you can see how the wood turned out. There can be some loss during the stabilizing process. Not the fault of the stabilizers. Since you are dealing with a natural material you don't know how things will turn out until you see how things turn out. The blocks will be covered with cured stabilized solution kind of like dried fiberglass resin. The wood can warp or twist a bit during the curing process. You will need to sand or trim away the cured gunk as well as flatten and square up the wood.

If you plan to sell
To sell the wood you will need to take good photos and make them available to purchase on the forums or on your own web site.
After you get paid you need to ship the pieces to the purchaser. If the order gets lost in the mail or impounded by customs that is your loss, not the purchaser.

The tools you will need
While you might be able to manage with less equipment these are what I consider the minimum needed.
You can pay to have large burls and log sections milled. Around here you pay $75 to $100+ per hour for milling time.

Bandsaw for cutting blocks. A 14 inch bandsaw is the minimum.

Sanders. Disc sander for flats and squaring. Drum sander to even up the thickness, especially for scales. Stationary belt sander for finer grit sanding. Then a palm sander for final, finer grit sanding. This is not to mention a dedicated wood working and storage area or other equipment like a dust collector.

To sell you will need a decent digital camera and computer so you can list the stabilized wood for sale.

When determining your selling price you need to consider the following things.
Cost of the raw wood.
Cost of stabilizing.
Postage for shipping to and from the stabilizers.
and......maybe a little bit for overhead, cost of tools and your time.

Sounds easy enough. Now those who were complaining have an opportunity to make lots of money while providing handle material at a reasonable price. So if you complained and don't want to be thought of as a whiner, here is your chance to do something about it.

Disclaimer
Most of the knife makers (99%) who purchase from me are wonderful people who understand the cost to produce good handle material as well as the need to be paid for my time and labor. I will do my best to continue to provide them with what they want. Over the past eight years they have treated me better than I deserve. Thank you for making it possible for me to do something that I enjoy and provide for my family at the same time.

Last edited:
You left off all the business end of being a wood seller:
licenses
taxes
insurance (liability, fire, health)
building costs
salaries
marketing costs (advertising, dealer membership level on forums, shows, etc.)
profit

people selling stabilized wood on ebay using second rate stabilizing liquid and a brake bleeder pump for vacuum for high prices complicates peoples opinions as well. twice i bought that stuff and it was not stabilized in the middle... thats what i get for thinking a $20 block would be good quality.

I absolutely agreed with you. 99% of my customer base is amazing, compliments the quality and pricing of my material and thanks me. Some though, feel the need to inform me that I am charging outrageous prices for "just a piece of wood"

But Mark is completely correct. One of my more expensive woods is Ipe burl, but the lumber ipe can be purchased for a few dollars a linear foot. This has lead some people to think I must be ripping them off. But my process is much the same

Find a guy in Brazil who has the wood

Buy the wood

Payment for shipping from brazil to Los Angeles

Test the wood and the dry it for 6 months to 2 years slowly to prevent cracking

Use anot industrial 8 horsepower bandsaw to cut the wood up as it is incredibly dense and hard

Throw away the ~25 percent to waste of unfigured, cracked or rotted wood

Surface my blocks so they are square

Polish them to 220 grit using sanders and oribalts

Sparyou them with laqure to protect and enhance the apperance of the wood

Bring them outside during optimal light hours, photograph them

Upload the photos, list the wood on my site along with any information

Store and keep track of the wood while I move between a dorm and my house

Ship it out to the client.

There are many steps, and many people who want a cut. I sell my stock to knife makers because I love making knives, and I like other people who do it to. But this is not an easy business. Knife makers as a while have high expectations and smaller budgets that other craftsmen. My boss at the lumber shop I worked at once said

"knife makers are as picky as guitat guys with a 5th the budget"

But that doesn't mean I'm going to stop. I still love this work, and I love being part of the community. But the price of wood is not the cost of buying a piece of lumber. So many other factors apply.

Throw away the ~25 percent to waste of unfigured, cracked or rotted wood
Your number is way too low. I tracked our numbers for years. I was very happy when we could achieve 50% yield of finished wood. The 50% yield was rare.

Add in the cost of a dumpster & disposal for waste wood, chips & sawdust.

Drying wood will make you cry. There is time and money spent buying the wood, hauling it to the shop, cutting and placing it in the kiln. Over several weeks you carefully monitor and reduce the humidity. When the wood is dry, you remove the blocks from the kiln and inspect. There were always beautiful blocks that cracked or warped badly enough that they could not be used. Don't forget to include the cost of running a kiln (heat, dehumidifier, labor) to the cost of a finished block. Good moisture meters start at $400.

When we drove around the country to buy wood, a substantial cost was hotels, meals and diesel. Add in the cost of the truck and trailer to haul the wood. Even a one day trip could burn more than $100 in fuel.

Anyone who complains about $50 for a professionally stabilized, finished block of wood doesn't have any idea of what they are talking about.

Chuck

Look at some of the beautiful wood that our vendors provide to us and then go price that same quality of wood in unstablized pieces large enough to make stringed musical instruments, fine gun stocks or high end furniture veneers. You may swallow your tongue. LOL

Mark

you are 100% right :thumbup:

I am a "wood junkie" and I've bought a lot of stabilized and unstabilized wood over the years - and I have to hide half of it from my wife :D

I'm a woodworker and amateur knife maker, and so I already have many of the "tools" one might need to "purvey" wood. I can tell you that, in time alone, it costs much more than you think to sell wood. Add in the other factors that others have mentioned, and I think the "per hour" profit is not very high at all...:cool:

I've bought wood from Mark and Chuck...and I've bought "stabilized wood" off eBay....and there is NO Comparison in quality. I'd echo what Chuck said about waste - if you cut for maximum YIELD, you may have 25% waste. If you cut for maximum QUALITY, waste is at least 50% in quality Koa and Ironwood.

As others have mentioned, even a $100 block of PRIMO wood is often cheap compared to the overall price of a knife...and with the whole Ivory fiasco currently going on, I believe that exhibition quality wood will become extremely sought after, whereas "OK" wood will still be available for lose looking for less expensive options.

FWIW, I've sent boxes of unstabilized wood to various makers whom I've met or who seem like they are nice guys - and I've very much enjoyed seeing what they do with it !
Sort of "pay it forward" I guess, because I think there a great bunch of folks in the knife making world.

As for the few who complain - I'd pay no attention to them, because I think one of 2 things will happen -

1) they never reach a quality level where they appreciate the difference in quality woods

or

2) they DO strive for and achieve quality....at which point they will more clearly understand what materials and time are worth

Bill Flynn

Your number is way too low. I tracked our numbers for years. I was very happy when we could achieve 50% yield of finished wood. The 50% yield was rare.

Add in the cost of a dumpster & disposal for waste wood, chips & sawdust.

Drying wood will make you cry. There is time and money spent buying the wood, hauling it to the shop, cutting and placing it in the kiln. Over several weeks you carefully monitor and reduce the humidity. When the wood is dry, you remove the blocks from the kiln and inspect. There were always beautiful blocks that cracked or warped badly enough that they could not be used. Don't forget to include the cost of running a kiln (heat, dehumidifier, labor) to the cost of a finished block. Good moisture meters start at $400.

When we drove around the country to buy wood, a substantial cost was hotels, meals and diesel. Add in the cost of the truck and trailer to haul the wood. Even a one day trip could burn more than $100 in fuel.

Anyone who complains about $50 for a professionally stabilized, finished block of wood doesn't have any idea of what they are talking about.

Chuck

Luckily most of the Ipe burl i get is pretty clean.

Spalted woods are a completely different story. I received some beautiful maple burls that were salvaged from a riverbed "After the first seller succeed in fleecing me for roughly 800 dollars"

so after paying 10 dollars a pound for maple burl along with delivery, i had to bring them out to my shop to spend 3 or 4 hours sawing them up. I then ended up throwing away about 70% of the weight of the burl away for being cracked, So spalted it fell apart in my hands, the curvature of the burl or simply insufficient figure. Of the remaining 30%, maybe 10-15% of that was only big enough to yield pen blanks. So i am left with about 20% of the original weight of burl.

and the simply fact remains that If i cut that into turning stock, it will sell faster than if i pay the high cost to have it professionally stabilized and cut into blocks for makers. There is a huge amount of cost associated with this business that I am learning as I go through this. But as many makers will be able to tell,

You get what you pay for. When Mark or Chuck or I "I do feel a touch strange including myself in that list" list a block for sale, it is because that is the value of the wood. None of us are getting rich doing this. This business pays for my text books, my gas and insurance and for me to be incredibly sweet to my girlfriend. I think too many people hear "Maple burl costs 10 dollars a pound, a block of maple burl weights ~1 pound. Maple burl should cost 10 dollars. $40 of that is just going into the sellers pockets."

I think too many people hear "Maple burl costs 10 dollars a pound, a block of maple burl weights ~1 pound. Maple burl should cost 10 dollars. $40 of that is just going into the sellers pockets."
The same argument could be made re the cost of materials for a monster damascus bowie with presentation grade wood only being like $100 on a bad day. Damn skippy the rest of the money is going into the maker's pocket.We call that LABOR COST. and OVERHEAD. ;)

Ben

good luck with your business- seems like you are learning valuable lessons on the go...:D

At this point, I pretty much only buy "exhibition" wood, so if you ever get any redwood burl, rosewood burl or Iron wood that falls into that category, let me know :thumbup::cool:

I have enough Koa to last a lifetime I think :p

Bill

Chuck

Thanks again for your input in these type of threads - you've been a great source of valuable information in many areas, as well as a peerless supplier of all types of knife-related supplies. I hope those who read appreciate the value you and others provide....

Bill

1- Mark it seems like every knife forum that I have ever looked at you have a dealer membership on. I have bought cars for less than you spend a year on dealer fees. They should consider that.

2- When I first started here my intentions was to sell wood and I quickly learned it takes many many hours to source the good stuff. I cant imagine how many hours you spend just looking for the wood with the volume that you sell.

3- You can try all you want but some people you will never be able to please, life is to short to let that bother you.

I do some stabilizing with cactus juice because I live in Canada, and cross border shipping can be a hassle. I do it myself on figured poplar that grows everywhere around me. I wouldn't think I could save money doing it myself if I had to source all of my wood, then stabilize it myself. My equipment is only good enough for light to medium density woods anyway. I don't think anyone gets rich in the knifemaking or material supply business. Order sizes are too small, margins are too small, and time labour costs are too high. I'm just glad things are priced as reasonably as they are.

Bill F,

Thank you for your kind comments.

Collectors like you drive knifemakers to do their best work.

Chuck

I am currently getting set up to stabilize wood myself. I have several reasons for this: my best friend runs 3 sawmills, I had a lot of the needed equipment already, and I just like playing with stuff. If I can make a quality product, great. If not, I will just buy what I need for knives to sell. The risk of having a knife come back, or is not a good as I can make it, is just too great. All the business I have had (enough to break even on a hobby I love) has been word of mouth. I have been in the business world for many years, running $100 million+ programs and word of mouth is very powerful and it cuts both ways. I have not dealt with any of the vendors on this thread except AKS. I keep using AKS because they have always treated me right, and offer great products. Keep up the good work fellas. It doesn't go unnoticed.

This whole thread is just a bunch of propaganda to sell wood to ignorant makers. Wood grows on trees, man... It's like free, man.

Wood "suppliers" dry out their product only to turn around and put chemicals back in to make it look wet again?... Completely redundant... Scam!

Bottled water, man.... Friggin bottled water... Wake up, people!

Rick:p

Back