Do knife makers trade blade secrets?

Ivan, Please take care of both of them, one is someone I am very close with (Sava) and the other is a friend who trys to keep me (Gus) from going crazy in here (the forum) sometimes.

The main thing that has kept me interested in knives has been the people I have been able to meet and get to know a little. One of the first things that I noticed was how makers exchanged "trade secrets" openly with each other in many cases with the payback being to pass the knowledge on.

The vast majority of makers that I have met go out of their way to spread their knowledge. I see it at all knowledge levels constantly and have only run into one or two that have felt differently for one reason or another. Going to shows you see this growth in excellence in general.

A good example is a show that is easy for me. Each year the quality of custom knives that you see at Blade in general is noticiably higher without exception year after year. I feel that that the larger portion of the advancement that we see year after year is due to the makers that put their knowledge out there for any and all. An accomplished friend says he learns something new every time he teaches or works with someone else. He may not go about something the same way, but there is always something he can incorporate into his style. It does not matter if he is with a new maker or a master, but what does matter is his state of mind.

It has been my experience that those who claim to have secrets are probably selling a con with little or no real benefit to be realized from the secret. Only through sharing what we know will we be able to bring others into the development of our craft and their contribution may one day result in the ultimate knife. All too much valuable knowledge has been lost either because of a reluctance or the lack of the ability to share. It is important to listen to those who seek to share,they may be hesitant due to a lack of confidence in their knowledge. A welcome ear and a good listener can be of great benefit.

For 6 years I played at knife making.
Then I met Randal Graham, Ed Storch, Brian Lyttle, Howard Clark and Rick Dunkerley in a two year period. My brain turned into a sponge and absorbed knowledge like I never thought possible. Since then things have been clicking right along.
I now try to pass this knowledge along to others whenever possible.
Without those that went before us the road would be very rough. Its up to us now to make the road for those that follow us a little more smoother.

The help and encouragement I've received from other makers worldwide - and the number of friends I've made - are 2 of the great benefits of making knives. I think the net and forums like this one play a great role in helping people communicate and exchange ideas.

A big thanks to all who have helped me out over the years!

Golok -- had I my wits about me during my first post, I think all I needed to say was: Read Shop Talk Forum! We've all been telling you about the sharing. You can watch it happen every day there. If you have any questions about the handmaking of knives, use the search there, and marvel at the information available.

Personally, I find Shop Talk to be the most pleasant of all the forums to read. I'll never be a knife maker, no talent. But I want to know all my aging, decrepit brain can absorb.

This too is a very good forum, but not up to speed with ST, insofar as the sharing of information goes.

A great thread you started, by the way!

All of the knowledge "hoarders" that I have ever met are insecure people. Not in knife-making, but in all walks of life.

I used to love to watch Arnold Palmer, but at the time had no appreciation for the millions of practice balls he had to hit before he became a master. Same goes for Julius Erving on the basketball court. He would do a little move, the poor defenders would end up on their butts (with no contact at all), and he would score. I would go outside to try that, because it looked easy, and I would be the one on my butt - every time!

It takes a real master to make something very difficult look easy. The masters usually have talent, and also many years of blood, sweat, and tears behind them. They are generally pretty secure people, and for good reasons.

Back