Do special Victorinox Swiss Army Knife handles graphics fade or scratch off?

I found some cool Swiss Army knives on SMKW aside from the typical Red plastic handles. These have graphics like Smokey the bear in full color...and lack the inlaid metal Victorinox emblem for a painted or injected variant.

Does anyone own a swiss army knife from victorinox (in this case a Tinker) that has "painted" scales or scales with graphics?

How do they hold up?

Obviously they will wear away over time just like any other printed graphic or lettering. I personally do not own any SAKs with printed scales, but I have seen plenty of examples of how the printing can erode away over time from rubbing in the hand or in the pocket, or be removed deliberately with light sanding. It won't happen immediately, but it will happen eventually over a long period of time depending on how often the SAK is used and abused. It can and does happen even on the tougher nylon scales. The stayglow scales are a good example. They're a bright glow in the dark nylon material with the shield printed rather than being stamped or inlayed. The shield on those does eventually begin to wear away with friction and time, even though the nylon scales are a lot tougher than the normal plastic celidor.

For me the rounded edges of my Classic SD's are what get worn first. They stay looking pretty good, though.

Can confirm that SAKs with screenprinted graphics on the scales will wear, and sadly, pretty easily. I collect SAKs and have several really neat versions, so I generally just have them in my collection drawer and tend not to use them.

Surprisingly to me, the printed company logo on my Rambler has stayed almost intact after five or six years on my busy keyring. Meanwhile, I've had to replace the front scale. First the Vic logo fell out, then the scale itself fell off & was lost.

It is kind of sad that Victorinox promotes itself as greenish company that uses high end technology to recycle energy but then produces a lot of collectibles and flat out shelf stuff that is never intended to be used. Don’t get me wrong I love Victorinox with all my heart but sometimes I’m bit alienated by that.

I prefer the simpler white all around (rather than red) with a small graphic, so, there is nothing on the corners to be rubbed away, it's quite a minimalistic design. These are usually from Finnish collabs. I need more of them cause I adore them, but here is "my" SAK, a Camper, the one I carry all the time. The toothpick got thrown away so I had to sand down and replace it with a different one from a SAK ripoff, but I chopped it off anyways because I wanted to keep a needle/thread in there. Just kept the tip as a cap. This is the Moominpapa and the Lighthouse Keeper version.

Last edited:
Back