Do unused knives get dull?

I get this feeling that even unused, my knives slowly dull over time. I'll put a wicked edge on a knife, then, many weeks later, it just doesn't seem so sharp, even if I've never used it at all.

Am I imagining this? Or is there some chemical/atomic thing happening right at that very fine edge? Stainless or D2, doesn't seem to make a difference.

I read somewhere on a straight edge shaving forum that thin edges do get dull on thier own accord,even without use. Something to do with heat affecting the razored edge and the metal slowly drawing itself back into a dulled state. could be an old wives tale or purely down to the steel used for the blade. When in doubt keep an Eze-Lap diamond stone handy :D

unless its carbon steel, and rusting, the edge should be sharp enough still that a strop will fix it.

Two processes are at work.

The first is oxidation. This is probabaly the cause of your problem. Oxygen in the air literally rusts the very edge of the knife.

The second is atomic migration. The very sharp edge is a very unnatural thing. It's a very organized thing. Nature abhors organization -- witness my desk. The atoms will tend to migrate away from that organized edge. This is a very slow process.

So, these two things mean that the answer to your question, "Do unused knives get dull?" is yes.

Did you cut anything acidic before putting your knife away? Did the blade impact anything? I have one knife that I sharpened over a year ago, and it seems just as sharp.

The second is atomic migration. The very sharp edge is a very unnatural thing. It's a very organized thing. Nature abhors organization -- witness my desk. The atoms will tend to migrate away from that organized edge. This is a very slow process.

not only explains your desk, but my house, my car, my life....:D

thx for the info, hadnt heard that before.

ive sharpened knives and put them away for nearly 10 years before and when i "re-discovered" them, they were razor sharp just like the day i put them away so this atomic migration thing must be a SLOW process. i could see where a carbon steel blade that has been stored with the protection of oil might rust and cause the edge to dull somewhat though.,,,VWB.

One thing I have noticed is that knives that have been sharpened often and kept sharp stay sharper longer when stored. I wondered if the 'elasticity' of the steel has a part to play in this.
Greg

They only get dull, because every now and then the knives come out to play when your away.

attachment.php

Thanks for the info, guys.

No acid, no use, steels like s30v or vg10... I get them to that sharp where you just wave it past your arm and the hair leaps off... then I pull them out months later and, sure they still shave hair, but its not that amazing scary sharp like it was, its only... real sharp. You know what I mean, I hope.

I would surmise that your own idea of a sharp edge is maturing. You are expecting blades that met your approval months ago to meet your now raised expectations.

I have actually had stainless blades feel duller after storage. Carbon steel shows no difference if it's not rusted.
Bill

Mongo is right. The knives want you to go out, use them till they're dull, and sharpen them up again.

Two processes are at work.

The first is oxidation. This is probabaly the cause of your problem. Oxygen in the air literally rusts the very edge of the knife.

So, these two things mean that the answer to your question, "Do unused knives get dull?" is yes.

It is logical that an oxidized edge will increase the drag of the knife during the cut which I think would cause you to perceive the knife being duller..

Regarding atomic migration.......

Back