do we need a pic thread here?

My favorite line (said to "Sergeant" Chris - Sheldon will get that reference) is "if patience is a virtue, Randall collectors should all automatically qualify for sainthood." It's true, it's true.

Here ya go Ron - a little rough, but they show the size differences pretty well...

Hope it helps :thumbup:

Attachments

• 3-1.jpg
    3-1.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 3-2.jpg
    3-2.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 3-3.jpg
    3-3.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
My my, that is a nice size blade. I guess i will order one of those soon.

thank you for your time on the photo its really appreciated.

So how do options count by the way?

for example, (bear with me, i havn't a really strong grasp on it yet)

the model 14 with ST/NST grind, is that two options or 1/2 option, or just one?

If one were to ask for brown canvas micarta and ask it not be polished after shaping is that really an option or just a specification?

Last edited:
If there's a charge, it's a "chargeable option." Often times the charge is negligable ($15, as for ST/NST), but that definitely counts.

Anything involving sheaths doesn't count, even though it may cost more.

I sympathize, Ron, this is confusing as hell.

There is too much talk in this here picture thread!:rolleyes:

Pics:

#2 - 5"

IMG_0622.jpg

#1 - 8"

IMG_0624.jpg

Kind regards,

Jos

Last edited:
I figured it was finally time to put a Randall in my "collection." (I have a lot of knives but I guess I can't really call it a collection because I use them all.)

I happened to stumble onto a couple of Randall Model #8s at an attractive price in stock at an Internet knife place... Knife Supply. I've only tried to order from them once in the past and had bad luck. I was hesitant to try again but the lure of the Randalls was too much. I figured I'd buy one and if everything went well I'd buy the other one if it was still there. You know... one to use and one to stash away.

Well, I ordered the first one on July 20. I immediately received an order confirmation. After a week, I e-mailed to ask if it had shipped. No reply. After another week, I called the office during the listed office hours. No answer. I left a message. No return call.

After another week, I decided to call my credit card company. They said there was no charge showing for the knife. That put my mind at ease, but I wondered what was up with my order. Earlier this week, I got a shipping notification from Knife Supply. The package showed up today, one day short of a month after ordering this "in stock" item.

When I opened it, I was surprised to find the knife simply wrapped in somewhat tattered paper... no box.

RandallModel8.jpg

RandallModel8a.jpg

RandallModel8b.jpg

The knife is in perfect condition and seems fine. It's going to be a user and I got a good price so I'm not too upset about not having a box.

I'll post some better photos when I get her cleaned up and outside on a hike (I'll be putting out some trail cameras on Saturday).

Stay sharp,
desmobob

Last edited:
Jos, is of course, right...lol

Bob,

Sweet knife, it'll serve ya well! Nice pics too, thanks for sharing. In their defense, however, if we're talking about the same place, I believe they've been going though an ownership change due to what I heard was a health issue. (I don't have a dog in the fight, just sayin'.)

The Gambler/#24 set photo is for Steve to drool over. Enjoy ;)

Attachments

• Blinded 2.jpg
    Blinded 2.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 13
Bob,

Sweet knife, it'll serve ya well! Nice pics too, thanks for sharing. In their defense, however, if we're talking about the same place, I believe they've been going though an ownership change due to what I heard was a health issue. (I don't have a dog in the fight, just sayin'.)

I don't mean to kick anyone when they're down.

I'm just glad I finally have my first Randall Made Knife; such a pretty little thing. :D

RandallModel8c.jpg

I'm sure it won't be my last.....

desmobob

Bob,

How your knife was packaged - rolled up in the thin paper and then in the 'butcher' paper with the care instructions - is exactly how it comes from the Randall shop. The shop uses a little cardboard box for shipping that's no better than the one you have. Yours might even be the same box that the shop uses, can't really tell from the photos.

You've got a great first Randall there. It will be a good user as well as a knife that you can always stash away later if you want. Even a used Randall is a valuable collectible.

Good-looking stag handle on your knife too!

Rick

Bob,

How your knife was packaged - rolled up in the thin paper and then in the 'butcher' paper with the care instructions - is exactly how it comes from the Randall shop. The shop uses a little cardboard box for shipping that's no better than the one you have. Yours might even be the same box that the shop uses, can't really tell from the photos.

You've got a great first Randall there. It will be a good user as well as a knife that you can always stash away later if you want. Even a used Randall is a valuable collectible.

Good-looking stag handle on your knife too!

Thanks for the information, Rick. I had assumed that the knife should have come in a nice printed box or at least a box with an end label with the model number, etc.. You know what they say about assuming.... :eek:

Stay sharp,
desmobob

Six options on it too. I hate you.

It's ok to hate, as long as it's in a good way... ;)

Specs are - stainless blade, nickel-silver forward curved hilt, metal spacers, customer supplied 'Alternate Ivory' handle material (A/I blade etch too), Commando shaped handle, nickel-silver end cap, lanyard hole, and the real clincher - a nickel silver plated end cap nut.

The knife was ordered through Nordic Knives by Bay Area Chiropracter Dr. D. Shapona. Dr. Shapona didn't doesn't remember specifying or supplying the nut, Dave Harvey doesn't remember if Nordic supplied the nut, and Scott Maynard, current RMK Shop foreman, IIRC, doesn't remember putting it on, either...yet, there it is, as delivered to the good Dr.

RMK elves maybe? :thumbup:

Oh, Sheldon, you're such a likeable guy - nobody could possibly hate you. Right?:D

Since this is a picture thread I thought I post a couple of pictures for you all to drool over myself:D

Thanks for looking,

Dan

Attachments

• Ivory Handles V.jpg
    Ivory Handles V.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 20
  • Randall 2-4 & 2-5 b.jpg
    Randall 2-4 & 2-5 b.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Tom Clinton Black Micarta II.jpg
    Tom Clinton Black Micarta II.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 18
So the end cap nut is not a standard option? Or only onn a few models say a model one and a combat companion??

Melvin P. is this in your book?

Options, and specs, whats standard on a model, and what isn't? I don't care about the charges, I just want to understand the limitation on customizing the order. Is the catalog picture a standard and any change thereafter a option?

There has to be a method to it.. Thank you.

Dan, haaay, that's not 'Yeti-wood' on the first set is it? (Yes, I drooled...lol) ;)

Ron, it used to be that only the leather handled knives, and the Model #22 for some reason, were the only knives with tang nuts...I dunno if that still holds true. here's a close up of the nut...

Yes, the #12-9 '14 grind' knife is shown on both page #184 and the rear cover of my book. It's been promised to a friend in New Mexico if it ever goes up for sale...and you need to order a free RMK catalog. Most of your questions will be answered therein... :)

Attachments

• 1 NS Nut 2.jpg
    1 NS Nut 2.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 8
...and you need to order a free RMK catalog. Most of your questions will be answered therein... :)

Well, I hadn't looked at this thing in a few years. I guess it does tell me alot, but it sure didn't make it easier :D. You are right though, it can be figured out with the catalog.

Ron, most of the info is in there - some isn't, and prices change each year. So, the best thing to do, in my opinion, is get a new catalog, and spend a few hours with it. Then, take a gander at Dr. Lunde's RMK FAQ's web post http://lundestudio.com/RandallOrderingFAQ/ - then, if you still have questions, ask 'em here... :thumbup:

Hope that helps.

Shel

FWIW, I typically buy on the secondary market for what I think is fair market value, and based on what I like - but it never fails to blow me outta my chair when I get a dealer call that an ordered knife is ready and what the price is...when you start adding uptions like a NS endcap with lanyard hole, that's pretty spendy at $75 ($60 + $15) plus any dealer mark-up...

Specs are - and the real clincher - a nickel silver plated end cap nut.

The knife was ordered through Nordic Knives by Bay Area Chiropracter Dr. D. Shapona. Dr. Shapona didn't doesn't remember specifying or supplying the nut, Dave Harvey doesn't remember if Nordic supplied the nut, and Scott Maynard, current RMK Shop foreman, IIRC, doesn't remember putting it on, either...yet, there it is, as delivered to the good Dr.

RMK elves maybe? :thumbup:

What is the distinguishing characteristic that makes you think it is 'plated' versus a standard stainless nut?

Back