Off Topic Do you carry a back-up knife with you ?.

I carry two folders; a Victorinox Tinker is my EDC, but also carry a small flipper with pocket clip for cardboard, and other heavier duty cutting.
Rich

I usually have at least 2 on me and often 3-4. Yesterday was an xm18, box cutter, a small warnie fixed blade and a Leatherman wave. No, I don't need that many blades I just like em.

Sometimes, not always.

Depends on where I'm going and what I think I may encounter when I get there

When I do carry 2, one will be the folder in my pocket (currently a Spyderco Shaman) and the other will be a Bastinelli-Marcaida Pika fixed blade karambit on my belt.

If I'm going somewhere that I think is really shady, I'd add a gun. Being left handed, the gun is on my left hip when using a IWB Sticky Holster and the knives are on the right (on my weak side). I clip my star on my belt whenever I carry a gun.

I also have a kubotan (a Hinderer pen) that I always carry in my left (strong side) pocket, regardless of whatever else that I am carrying.

Different tools (and different "backups") for different purposes.

Last edited:
I carry at least two, but I've never really thought about one being a "backup" before. I've just found that having two knives to fidget with and use throughout the day is more fun than just one.

One small wickedly sharp blade for delicate or specialized tasks and a larger chopper are carried as needed. In the house, just the smaller, which is usually a 3" folder. The larger blade when outside is usually a 6" unless I know I'll be chopping, in which case I'll bring a larger "working" blade.

For daily tasks, one blade is often more than enough. I don't imagine any crazy self defense blade scenarios, after all, that's what the Glock is for.

Yep, usually whatever looked good when I opened my EDC rotation case in the morning, plus something stabby clipped to a cargo pocket for emergencies. ;)

No - unless going for a trip and even then it’s multitool most of the time.
I usually bring an extra small fixed necker with me in a remote location. But I lean more and more over time toward bringing a multi tool, I have for years now, particularly when going out of town. Need to tighten a hose clamp, multi, need to open a can of beans to warm on the shore then lift it off the fire, multi, need to tighten a screw on a metal detector out in a field, multi. On and on. I have lost or forgotten to bring tools at times and really felt the loss. I rotate different SAKs on my key chain, but a multi with needle nose pliers has been far more versatile. I prefer multiple tools out of town. I left a Super Tool 300 out at an auto wreckers once. Stuff happens, I like one or two back ups. Mainly when I am far from town, which my metal detecting wanders often take me.

Most days I just carry one in my pocket or IWB.

When I run my errands locally, I would take a pocket organizer with a Chaparral FRN in it - usually once or twice a week. I mostly just walk.

And sometimes I will carry a backpack with a fixed blade and a Vic Spirit. So four blades at most, but that is only a few times a month and with some form of transportation even if it is just a push bike.

The further I go from home the more knives I carry.

A backup? Not really, per se. If I'm not at work, though, I generally carry a fixed blade, a traditional, and a "modern" folder.
I sometimes have a modern folder in my pack, in case I need something on the way to/from work (or if I'm not going directly home after).

At work, it's either a traditional, or a small modern folder, depending on what I'm wearing.

Regardless of what blade I have in my right front pocket, I always carry a Spyderco Pacific Salt SE as backup.

I also subscribe to the 2 is 1 and 1 is none rule. Therefore, I carry 2 knives with me whenever I leave the house. I also carry 2 flashlights, but that is a different forum.

At work I carry 3 knives. A folder to do all my general cutting and utility work, a small but thick fixed blade to pry and beat on, and a second folder just because. I’ve gotten to the point where I love all my knives and just enjoy carrying them even if one doesn’t get used. I suppose you can say it’s a backup but I don’t think I’d ever actually need a backup

No matter what I decide to carry for the day I always have my Buck 301 stockman in my right front pocket. ;)

As others have stated, not necessarily as a "back up" but for different blades for different tasks.
No one blade is "ideal" for every task, after all.
Personally, I have less than zero desire to use a Sheepsfoot/Lambsfoot or true Wharncliffe, to peel a critter, for example. :)

My "normal" carry is usually a Buck 110 or Schrade Old Timer 7OT, or a 2 blade slipjoint folding hunter and a large (3 7/8 inch or larger closed) stockman and a 4 blade Scout/Camp/"Demo" knife in my RFP.

This week's carry is abnormal for me:
Nothing on belt (no belt, either; I'm using suspenders this week) and a Harness Jack and Barlow in my pocket.

Since 1961 give or take a year, I've had at least two knives on me every day, (3 starting 1968 or 1969, when I got my first Buck 110, and put it on my belt) including school and church days, and when I worked in an office.

I sometimes carry a knife that might freak people out, so there’s always a SAK in my pocket as well. If I drink beer it’s rarely a twist off, and the other tools come in handy too.

In addition to the Classic on my keychain, I'll usually have a Hen and Rooster congress and/or a green bone Case Russlock in my pockets.

Just one. Everyone here must have sharp object issues. I farm and hunt almost all year and only have one on me . Don't see a need for 2. If one can't do the job then why bring that one in the first place. Never been in a situation in 30 years where I need 2

I keep a knife or two stashed in all the bags, tool boxes, and vehicles.
So, I've always got at least one on my person, but another not far away.
Carried two knives purposefully for a while, but eventually got tired of having the extra bulk.

Back