1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Do You Dig With Your Knife?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by redsquid2, Sep 9, 2011.

1. SaltyVeteran

SaltyVeteran

Mar 16, 2017
    No. That is what a shovel is for.

2. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    I would if I had to, but I have better tools handy for digging. I do cut sod and roots with my machete. The machete makes pretty fast work in fitting pieces in.

3. Eric@DLT

[email protected]

Mar 30, 2015
    In a unique circumstance I had to use a cold steel knife to cut sod, definitely worth it and it wasn't that hard to sharpen.

4. cornfedgroove

cornfedgroove

Aug 28, 2011
    If I had to, I would.

Haven't had to

5. HJK

HJK Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Jun 30, 1999
    i try to have a heavy use knife that i can dig with on some trips where you are travelling light but have to dig a tent pole on hard ground or tundra. It's obviously not ideal but I have done it when I'm pressed. But any knife can be damaged that way so i don't recommend it. i had a nice but definite working Hayes in 01 that was damaged on a rock, which is very hard to do with any of wally's knives. The right tool was lashed in the kayak too far to walk and a storm was coming in blah blah blah. Sometimes I'm just lazy or too sore. It's nice to have a beater. I've gone through a few. Just don't destroy a great knife like i did.

6. stbob

stbob

Mar 8, 2015

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  7. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    Yes , if all that I need to do when I m home .But did you suggest to me to carry all that iron when I go to the mountain ????? No my friend , I will use my knife for everything when I m out ........ If you don t like scratches on you knife keep it in box or bye cheap one :D Do you understand the concept ......... buy a knife and used it while it lasts :) It is just a knive and knive is tool !

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  8. ThePeacent

ThePeacent

Sep 15, 2013
    If I have no better tools at hand, I use a cheap Fixed blade or one of Spyderco's Salt folders, as they can't rust or corrode and can easily be rinsed under water or cleaned in the dishwasher

[​IMG]

H1 steel is very forgiving

[​IMG]

9. GB940Rookie

GB940Rookie

Apr 19, 2016
    Went to visit my mom and noticed a number of flats containing Asiatic Jasmine(ground cover) in her yard as I drove up. About 200 plants. Went inside the house and she was laid up on the couch unable to walk. She had tried to work in the yard but her hip was giving her trouble(osteoporosis). She was worried about her Jasmine and I had no other tools in my truck, very unusual for me, so I pulled out the Kershaw Blackout and went to work digging small holes.
    Had to wipe it off to take a pic so you could tell it was a knife.:D
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Cleaned it up, no big deal. It's my beater work knife, but I did decide to throw an old cheap fixed blade under the seat of my truck for next time.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  10. John A. Larsen

John A. Larsen

Jan 15, 2001
    During the Operation Anaconda, an Australian SAS soldier attached to the 101st Airborne wrote about trying to dig a foxhole with a knife, his last comment was he would never go to the field again without an E-tool. John

11. hunter55

hunter55

Apr 22, 2011
    I agree with Natlek.
    I am not in favor of using a knife to dig....
    But it is good to feel confident that in the case of a need (in an emergency situation etc.), your knife can do it....
    AND I have seen the Gerber Strongarm doing that without any problem.... (See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPqkWOY1bCg Dakota Fire Hole vs. Gerber Strongarm).....

12. JoshH

JoshH

Jun 1, 2016
  13. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    A fixed blade works pretty well for planting bulbs if you don't have a shovel handy.

As far as cutting sod, a knife is probably the best tool unless you want to use a hatchet.

14. highestpoint

highestpoint Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 13, 2014
    I actually did today so I could plant grass seed and didn't have anything else small enough

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. ATJ999

ATJ999 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2013
    If I don't have a shovel around, I will use a cheap machete or folder.

16. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    I don't think it's a sin , but the ground around here is very rocky . I hate having to chop roots because even stout grubbing tools get damaged . Would be very rough on a thin blade knife .

17. Spey

Spey

Apr 15, 2012
    This is a good thread for understanding thick spined knives, thick edges, and steep secondary bevels. Those "combat" knives that were designed to be able to pry as a lever, dig without rolling or chipping an edge, and cut if/when sharpened. There's even a whole classification of sod cutting knives for working in and around dirt.

That's a great photo testament to a good steel with a great heat-treatment ;-)

Ya, I would prefer to use a shovel & digging bar, but in a less than ideal circumstance a good fixed blade possesses some of the same attributes.

18. GermanyChris

GermanyChris

Feb 18, 2015
    I wonder where they were out there. I was in Anaconda with the 10th Mountain and I can only remember one place I could have dug a fighting position. Was it in a book?

19. John A. Larsen

John A. Larsen

Jan 15, 2001
    GermanyChris, I first read about it in an After Action Report and later found a book written by the same man. The book's title is "18 Hours" by Jock Wallace. If I remember correctly he and one other Australian SAS man were attached to the 101st as liaisons. John

20. GermanyChris

GermanyChris

Feb 18, 2015
    Thanks for the name of the book so much that has been written about that operation was from the American POV and discussed the failings. It wouldn't surprise me at all that they were attached in some way to the 101st they were the largest force there. There wasn't all that many total, 101 was in motel 6 and about half of a battalion, the collective special people were in the old hangar and maybe a couple rifle companies in size, then there were us and the Canadians, next to the special kids and we're we're no more than a couple companies.