Do you ever keep a knife you really don't like?

I recently got this knife that I really don't like but I
love the way it looks. The pull and snap are pretty weak
and it seems almost frail but I really like the way it looks.
CC57E471DA6C4698A0803F5983450364.jpg

I tend to only buy knives that "speak" to me in some way, so I don't really have many knives I don't like. I do have a lot of knives that just sit and are rarely, if ever, carried or used.

That's something I'll have to address at some point as I don't really have room for boxes of knives, and boxes for the knife boxes. I need to take a serious look at what I enjoy and/ or use most, keep those, and pass the rest on to others. But I have a lot of other stuff that needs to be done first, so no telling on when I'm going to get around to thinning the knife herd.

If I don't like something I sell it asap

There's no point to keep it (speaking for myself)

Depends on the knife. If the knife in question was to try anew pattern or size, such as a "medium" Buck 303/373 size stockman, which I did not like in the least, or a small sunfish/elephant toenail. I'll give them away.
Some knives/patterns I'll never try: The Peanut size, for example. I already know it is too small, and I'll never carry it.

Others, like the standard two blade Trapper, It ain't oft, but I have been known to tote one about every other blue with raspberry/hot pink and green plaid moon. I'll keep 3 or 4 in the accumulation.

I have never sold a knife. I've lost/misplaced, and given away a few. And, as a youngling, there was a time or dozen I took a "Frost knife shaped object" I'd been given on a bicycle ride, or out in the canoe or row boat, and "accidentally" threw it into the Mississippi River proper from the old US HWY 136 toll bridge (as far as I could throw it downstream from the bridge) when on my bicycle ... (more than a few "Shimano" below Zebco 202 quality reels, and their junk/garbage bicycle components also went off the bridge,) or overboard in/on one of the slue's of the Mississippi River, when I was using step-pop's canoe or rowboat.

Ah, single blade trappers. It was what brought me down the rabbit hole. That and 2Dead 2Dead 's pictures on google of various single blade trappers.
You're welcome ;):D

As to the question, sometimes I give away or sell them but a lot of times I put them away in the stash and forget they're there.

As for your jack up there, I'd still keep it. You never know when a knife with a light pull is exactly whats needed.

Yes, dozens of them. I have a hard time letting go. And per the op, I never really liked trappers for some reason. Never carried one for more than a day. But probably still have a half dozen of them too.

I had a German Bull large folding hunter with muddy looking green jigged bone scales....there was nothing wrong with it at all...except I just found the blade shapes ....not to my taste? Rather than pollute local waterways afishhunter afishhunter o_O:(:cool::eek::D:D:p It got a new home in a GAW...
OldHercDude OldHercDude mate thats me too.

Yeah... that's the problem... they all "speak" to me. :D

I have a similar problem; I have never met a knife that I didn’t like. There have always been high performance knives and moderate performing ones, but even the worst ones are great examples of a “bad knives”. :confused::):rolleyes:

n2s

Cheap knives that I don't like end up at the landfill... sent many a Rough Ryder that way.
More expensive or nicer knives I'll give away or have a GAW here on the forum... sent many that way too.
GEC knives that I buy and don't "click with" will end up being sold... mostly at a loss.
There's also some knives that I've gotten as gifts that I don't care for and they just sit in my "gift drawer" in the garage.

I think it's inevitable when you're interested in Traditional knives that some will fail to connect with you, there's just so many patterns & variants. Canoes, full trappers, full Congress just cannot carry them. As you collect, your tastes refine and you become more discerning, but it takes time and there's a lot of idle knives in my house ;):D

In my experience I have received knives as gifts that I don't care for in style or quality. Those are often moved to another owner. I have a few that have sentimental value but I like them because of who gave them to me and not for what they are in style or quality. I've kept those. My tastes have also changed over the time I've been carrying knives. There was a time I had probably four or five canoe knives and several single blade teardrops. Next thing you know.....I'm not digging them like I did. I move them on to someone else. I've also caught myself buying a knife on-line with no personal experience and when they arrive they're thicker or longer than I expected. Same thing goes, let someone else enjoy them. I've got some I'm going to go through tomorrow and I acknowledge right now there are some I'm getting rid of for the above reasons.

Back