Do you grind standing or sitting???

I do my hollow grinding sitting on a barstool. I put my feet on the rail around the bottom of the stool and rest my elbows on my knees.

The flat grinding is done standing with my elbows locked as many have described.

Joe

Standing Only........ I gotta be ready to run in case something goes wrong (or an ex-wife drives up):eek:

Besides, at my age, if I tried it sitting, I would probaly fall asleep and grind the end of my nose off......:eek: :eek:

Robert

Setting,I have ground both ways but I feel more comfortable setting I can really use my upper body to control the blade

You know, I had always stood while grinding. Yesterday I was cleanign shop and found a barstool I had laying around. I put it just behind my grindings bucket and sat down. There is something VERY natural about sitting for me. Its a bit scary, but I tend to grind by the "shadow", meaning I get my flats totally flat by judging my bevel contact with the belt based on the hairline shadow between the edge and belt. Sitting, I can really get a good lightsource up above me and I feel like I have much more control......I am going to be doing alot of my bevel grinding sitting down from now on. My grinds last night came out as good as any i've done, and it was my first time sitting.

Both, I grind blades standing, but I sit to shape my handles....Sometimes I confuse myself:confused: but it's OK I don't mind.

Back