Do you have a favorite?

With all the different axe patterns (and variations) out there I’m curious to know: do you have a favorite? Or if that’s too broad a question, do you have any favorite patterns for specific uses? Or how about, are there any features of an axe that makes it a favorite generally or for a specific task? Do you just love the Narrow Wisconsin and you’ll fight anyone who disagrees?

Dayton, yankee and Jersey patterns are my favorite to use. Fairly narrow(Jersey not so much) straight bits and are available in lots of different weights.
And my favorite(s) to look at, currently anyway, are tied in first place between Connecticut and the Jersey and it's variations.
Top is a Snow & Neally user and bottom is a looker. 15667014957923224565641724421904.jpg
Personally I think the bit profile is more of a determining factor for a particular use. After all there's really only hard or soft woods. With some in between, knots, tight grain etc. You'd think a more rounded bit would be easier in hardwood but I've found that not to be true. A 4-1/2" bit slightly curved really pops the chips out of an oak! Curious to see what others say!

My favorite single bit pattern is either my Plumb jersey pattern or one of my michigans; either my A.A.T. Co 4.5lb "racing axe" or my 4lb Plumb Dad welded up. For double bits, western all the way. I can cut down trees for hours with my Plumb jersey as the swing:wood removed ratio is high and I can actually do a decent job of hewing with it and my AATCo. The AATCo is so dang heavy it excels at rapid, short bursts of work but not hours of work. The Plumb michigan is a little on the heavy side, but not so much it can't be a daily user. The Plumb jersey is nimble and fine for a full day of work. Westerns are just plain awesome on a 32 inch haft and will do anything you ask of them. Pictured below is my TTFE western on a 32, the welded Plumb, my poor man's racing axe, and my jersey along with all my Plumbs at the time
IMG-0773.jpg

IMG-1552.jpg

DSC-0100.jpg

IMG-E1549.jpg

I like the wide Jerseys and Connies of course and they aren’t that common near me so I find myself wanting them.
And for an over all axe and handle combination I gotta say that fat little 3lb Connie on a 28” French curve handle is my favorite in the hand.
B3-A8-D4-DC-8-D00-4-C02-8165-CA991-FD30-E2-F.jpg

But my favorite pattern of head has got to be the Wide Jersey Kelly Perfect with the 1889 patent made in the Louisville plant. Like a Baltimore-Jersey or a Philadelphia-Jersey from Louisville with the 1889 patent.

I gotta agree with what the guys on the Legitimus podcast were talking about. If you consider that axe’s position is history, the patent, the look... particularly the early 1889 ones made in louisville had crazy exaggerated deep bevels. And the 1885 patent had more of a conical shape to the bevels. But it is the one with both dates and the long script in the back from that plant that are so impressive. I agree with the one of those guys who chose that as their favorite. It is unparalleled in appeal and provenance.

The ones I have are close, but not quite it.
AF737-F80-E524-439-D-AD86-79299-D12-FBC8.jpg

The Jersey is an 1885 patent and although it’s from Louisville has the conical bevels.
6-CF1-DFB0-C5-A9-491-F-A86-B-451476-A9-C5-CC.jpg

The 1889 has the crazy bevels. You can see how exaggerated they are and how thin the cheeks get. But it does not have the lugs of the Jersey. :(
8-ADE6236-4-B21-441-C-BCC0-77-BE66-A25617.jpg

The best representation I could find without an exhaustive search was this one. (Wish I had bid on it.)

4-E57421-C-B69-E-4-DD8-A828-480-B8667613-A.jpg

097-C4-DDF-18-CF-4-DDA-86-AF-1-C630842467-F.jpg

1889 patent Jersey pattern from Louisville. I’m not sure if this was the widest jersey like a Baltimore or Philadelphia, in fact I don’t think it is, but I’d settle for it in a pinch if I had to.

Last edited:
I like the wide Jerseys and Connies of course and they aren’t that common near me so I find myself wanting them.
And for an over all axe and handle combination I gotta say that fat little 3lb Connie on a 28” French curve handle is my favorite in the hand.
B3-A8-D4-DC-8-D00-4-C02-8165-CA991-FD30-E2-F.jpg

But my favorite pattern of head has got to be the Wide Jersey Kelly Perfect with the 1889 patent made in the Louisville plant. Like a Baltimore-Jersey or a Philadelphia-Jersey from Louisville with the 1889 patent.

I gotta agree with what the guys on the Legitimus podcast were talking about. If you consider that axe’s position is history, the patent, the look... particularly the early 1889 ones made in louisville had crazy exaggerated deep bevels. And the 1885 patent had more of a conical shape to the bevels. But it is the one with both dates and the long script in the back from that plant that are so impressive. I agree with the one of those guys who chose that as their favorite. It is unparalleled in appeal and provenance.

The ones I have are close, but not quite it.
AF737-F80-E524-439-D-AD86-79299-D12-FBC8.jpg

The Jersey is an 1885 patent and although it’s from Louisville has the conical bevels.
6-CF1-DFB0-C5-A9-491-F-A86-B-451476-A9-C5-CC.jpg

The 1889 has the crazy bevels. You can see how exaggerated they are and how thin the cheeks get. But it does not have the lugs of the Jersey. :(
8-ADE6236-4-B21-441-C-BCC0-77-BE66-A25617.jpg

The best representation I could find without an exhaustive search was this one. (Wish I had bid on it.)

4-E57421-C-B69-E-4-DD8-A828-480-B8667613-A.jpg

097-C4-DDF-18-CF-4-DDA-86-AF-1-C630842467-F.jpg

1889 patent Jersey pattern from Louisville. I’m not sure if this was the widest jersey like a Baltimore or Philadelphia, in fact I don’t think it is, but I’d settle for it in a pinch if I had to.

You pulled out those Holy Scripture axes out and I couldn’t quit get my head around it.

That Connie is something to behold as well. It really was whispering some bad things to me when I was swinging it around and eyeing that wooden chair.

I like Michigan pattern 1st it is what I started with . 2nd it is a good general purpose axe in double bit , I haven't used my single bit Michigan a lot but what little I have I like it . 3rd Michigan pattern is the only pattern that is available in both single and double bits . I have 2 boys axes in Dayton pattern that I like too. I am not a big fan of Hudson bay pattern or bearded axes

A Western is pretty darn close to being something like a DB Connie, truth be told. I like Michigan's too. But my fav is a Rockaway followed by Connies. I think some of the old world patterns are incredibly cool looking too, and use my Wermlands pattern a lot.

I like Michigan pattern 1st it is what I started with . 2nd it is a good general purpose axe in double bit , I haven't used my single bit Michigan a lot but what little I have I like it . 3rd Michigan pattern is the only pattern that is available in both single and double bits . I have 2 boys axes in Dayton pattern that I like too. I am not a big fan of Hudson bay pattern or bearded axes

One of the most attractive patterns was the Michigan in my eyes.
Jerseys are very nice looking as are Connie's.
Individual preference is such a funny thing! Michigan has always been my least favorite pattern. It's because of the rounded poll and corners. Gentle curves and sharp angles are what do it for me. If either of you ever come across a black raven connie or Jersey maybe we can trade!
sH4HAO9.jpg

Individual preference is such a funny thing! Michigan has always been my least favorite pattern. It's because of the rounded poll and corners. Gentle curves and sharp angles are what do it for me. If either of you ever come across a black raven connie or Jersey maybe we can trade!
sH4HAO9.jpg
If I can afford a black Raven the condition will probably be horrible :D

I like Michigan's as well, though I don't much care for Daytons—they look too much like a "clipart" version of an axe with no real character of their own. Agree with you on Hudson Bays, though I do like bearded axes in general.

I like Michigan's as well, though I don't much care for Daytons—they look too much like a "clipart" version of an axe with no real character of their own. Agree with you on Hudson Bays, though I do like bearded axes in general.

I hear what you’re saying Aaron but there is a reason those made the “cut” every time American pattern varieties were reduced over time to what we see today. They aren't as unique as some but their overall geometry puts their mass behind their cutting edge pretty efficiently.

Last edited:
I've seen much different axes work on different wood than mine. It works for them, I cannot disagree. Thus, I only am sure of what works on my wood, Emory oak. For splitting I prefer a thin cheek, long blade to penetrate well with a decent eye to wedge it apart. Council Tools 6 lb. will do it and not much comes close. I like my Hults 4. lb. after I thinned it for limb work. DM
Councilax.jpg HultsvsC5.jpg

If I were short on space and could only fit one axe in, it would be the Hults as the Council is a specialized splitting ax.
The Hults covers more areas. I never mind swinging a 6 lber. Its just not what you would want for limbs. DM
HultsII.jpg

Love Connies and Westerns. I am partial to Jerseys and Rockaways as well. I have a really nice Legitimus Connie that really cuts well. A couple of Plumb Connies that the heads look like NOS. The handles are a little beat up but are so nice, they are going to get gently reworked.

Back