Do you have the Work Sharp Blade Grinding Attachment?

Does anyone here have and use the Ken Onion Work Sharp Blade Grinding attachment?

I'm thinking about getting one but would like some user feedback if possible. I use the WSKO and get good results. But I think I'd like to try the Blade Grinding attachment.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I just got mine. Works pretty well. You get more freedom with different blades but you lose the feature of a guided angle. You are only using the platform on the back of your picture as a "reference" and not a true guide. The setup does work pretty well as a light duty "grinder". I use it to shape scales on my knives.

It looks like a tiny normal belt sander. I guess it would work for knives and tools to large to fit on the standard WSKO. Why not just go with a standard belt sander though? I have cheap 1x30 that won't sharpen quite as well but is usable for a broader variety of tasks. And it cost less than that expensive attachment for the worksharp, which is itself a little spendy. In short, it is an expensive redundant, to me, of a possibly cheaper tool.

I think it is because it is hard to use for most people. For the knife nuts that are into it deep they probably go for the 2" X 42" belt sander/grinder instead.

The 1" X 30" belt sander may not have (the reason I say that is because I have not checked lately) the variety of grids for knife sharpening. I used to have a 1" X 30" for over 20 years and it just got worn out. The WSKO with the grinder is pretty light duty but it does have a range of belts for knife sharpening.

The 1" X 30" belt sander may not have (the reason I say that is because I have not checked lately) the variety of grids for knife sharpening. I used to have a 1" X 30" for over 20 years and it just got worn out. The WSKO with the grinder is pretty light duty but it does have a range of belts for knife sharpening.

You are correct. The finest grit available in 1x30 is 120 grit. Which is why I say that 1x30 is not as good for sharpening.

Since I freehand on the WSKO I've considered the blade grinding attachment several times. I like that it's a little wider (1") and that it has a platten. For me the chief advantages of this machine are maintained by the BGA. Mainly that it's portable, *variable speed*, and not super powerful. The only thing holding me back is cost. I'd have to buy the BGA and an assortment of belts to match what I have now. Not super expensive by any means, but I feel like, at some point, I'm going to buy a "real" bench sander and I could put the money towards that. OTOH, to get variable speed with a bench sander is going to be tricky and/or expensive so...

The BGA is a cool product that I'd like to have.

Brian.

How does this type of unit stand up to a traditional Way of sharpening similar to The Edge Pro Epex. I would think you would get a sharper edge on using stones.

Roger

^ I get very impressive edges from the WSKO. I'm not after hair whittling or any "extreme sharpness" test edges. I'm more into the entire edge from hilt to tip being very sharp, having a very sharp point, and reshaping poor or damaged edges. The WSKO lets me do that quite well.

Brian.

I'm left handed. So holding the knife with my right hand while using the WSKO is kinda awkward for me. I get good results. I was just thinking the blade grinding attachment might be easier for me to use. Plus there is a leather stropping belt too.

And the portability is the issue for me not wanting a regular belt grinder. I often take any sharpening on the road.

Using the BGA will require you to use both hands symmetrically. That is, you'll have to hold the blade in your right hand to sharpen the right side. Then hold the blade in your left hand to sharpen the left side. It's actually easier than you might expect. You can give it a try with your WSKO by taking the guide off and just freehanding the blade on the front side where the belt is moving *downward*. Sharpen with the edge down, in the same direction as the belt motion and you'll get good results and be safe at the same time.

Brian.

I went after the WSKO and then the BGA as a supplement to my paper wheels for reprofiling and other heavy stock removal tasks. After using it a fair amount, even getting some micro mesh aftermarket belts for it, I think i'm going to go ahead and get a 2x42 or 2x72 instead. Here are my impressions:

PROS:
VERY portable
Fairly stand-alone. I like to clamp it down, but otherwise it's very self-contained.
With fresh belts, it works well!
Variable speed
Guide system is easy enough to use.

CONS: (IMHO & Experience)
Belts wear out fast, and I mean pretty quick. I sharpen a lot of kitchen knives, and after 8 or 9 the coarser belts just don't remove material quickly.
1" belts leave something to be desired.
Price: after getting the WSKO and BGA, plus some extra belts, you're pushing $250-275.
Belt tensioner tends to stretch belts out significantly, especially the higher-grit belts that aren't constructed with stiff backing.

For me, sharpening in a semi-commercial setting, I find that the ease of portability and helpfulness of the guide are overshadowed by the relatively short life of the belts and overall miniature feeling of the machine. Just my .02, good luck decking.

You might try cleaning your belts with a pink eraser. They make rubber blocks specifically for cleaning belts but I use a pink eraser because they are cheap. The eraser will generate A LOT of rubber filings.

Back