Do you leave your old Bucks with patina/as found? Or do you rub them down

North Shore

Gold Member
I have some older Bucks that have some build up on them, wasn't sure if people treat Buck knives any different than most vintage traditional knives and rub the brass til shiny etc.

You can send them to Buck for a SPA Treatment. They will come back sharpened and looking like new.
Specify the "Edge 2000" sharpening for knives made prior to 2000.
The "Edge 2000" has better edge geometry and is easier to maintain.

You can send them to Buck for a SPA Treatment. They will come back sharpened and looking like new.
Specify the "Edge 2000" sharpening for knives made prior to 2000.
The "Edge 2000" has better edge geometry and is easier to maintain.

Is something like that viewed positively in the eyes of a collector? If I had an inverted Buck 110 or something, a SPA treatment wouldn't devalue it if I was hard up for cash and had to move on from it? Just curious about protecting an investment

I sent both of these two dot pawn shop finds in for SPA treatment. I agree with jmh33 above. If I had caused all the buildup, I would have left them alone...maybe ;)

YyGPyUC.jpg

FrzWBas.jpg

Is something like that viewed positively in the eyes of a collector? If I had an inverted Buck 110 or something, a SPA treatment wouldn't devalue it if I was hard up for cash and had to move on from it? Just curious about protecting an investment
I don't know the answer to that.
I know a lot of folks here send at least some of their knives in for that service. Maybe because the knife is cleaned and repaired as needed (for example, if a scale is broken they will replace it) by the factory it does not affect any "collector" value?

I believe @300Bucks is more knowledgeable than I on all things Buck. Maybe he'll chime in.

Here is a 1990 made Buck 110 I found on the bay. You can see this was a painters knife and the white stuff in the picked bone was caulking, the round blade was used to open cans, and the brass had dings and dents everywhere even the edges of the brass frame Inside and out. Buck replaced the blade and got all the dings and dents removed. Wow was all I could say (wish I had taken before photos of the top & bottom edges)!

It all depends on the knife..I have quite a few older 112's and really like the look of patina if it is not blotchy and is even on both bolsters. I particularly like some that have a chocolate tan color. As far as value goes I think it's best to leave it alone and let the next owner decide what to do with it. If a older Buck is really NIB with no dings or scratches polishing with a very light touch enhances its its originality. Be very careful not to round the edges, especially if it's a flat frame, and be careful with the blade finish. Some collectors absolutely want one untouched but if a folder (110/112) have been stored in the shieth for years that green verdigris should be removed.. very carefully.

I like them clean, not polished, patina on the bolsters is just fine.

the spa treatment is definitely a good idea. Especially for a beat up second hand knife. just to get back to ground zero. Then build a patina from there.

Unless they change the blade you would have no way to tell the knife had been to the spa or just a clean original. Buck doesn’t do anything to devalue them.

Buying knives as an investment is not a sound investment. Just ask anyone who bought Case knives in the 80s and 90s, and has tried to sell today. What collectors are buying over any period changes, things go in and out of favor frequently.

The $24.95 that a Buck 110 cost in 1970 would be $165.00 in today's money. You'd have to work hard to get that kind of money out of a 70s 110 today.

As for the original question, if the knife is pristine except for some marks made by a hamfisted sharpening attempt, I'll clean it up. If the knife shows overall signs of honest use, I'll put a new point on it, or file a kick, but otherwise I'll leave it alone.

The Buck Spa treatment is a bargain, and they do a great job. If you have them change the edge geometry you're going to ruin the knife for collectors down the road. It can always be sold as a user, but you've just turned a $75.00 to $100.00 knife into a $30.00 knife.

My advice is to not worry about value or collectability. It's your knife, do what you want with it. There are always people around who will tell you what to do with your stuff.

I clean them myself if it’s only the bolsters that needs cleaned, if the blade is scratched up I send them to Buck for there SPA treatment, unless it’s something that looks like this never carried or used or cleaned with a completely even thick tarnish on the brass, this 112 looks like it was setting in one spot for 45 years, I don’t think it should ever be cleaned it just wouldn’t be the same anymore. 703FE1D0-F1EE-4AC6-870A-A832FE2124D2.jpeg 160421FC-AAB5-4683-B749-C4A2D300A2A3.jpeg FB401C38-49EA-4FA1-8048-7867879661C8.jpeg A3B487F2-5CB9-4243-9023-A39DF3285B03.jpeg

bucklife301 that is the tan chocolate I like the most. If I get one like that it's a good day..I don't see many like that and I bet it does take years to 'tarnish' to that color..

bucksway it is one of my favorite 112s I keep it up front in my display and I got it fairly cheap and put it in front of some of my more expensive knives .

Back