Do you mind a scratched EDC?

Use your shit. Enjoy it. It's not like it is the only knife you own! The only thing which bugs me more than someone who is afraid to use their knife is someone who is afraid to blow their nose on their new fancy hankerchief.

IMG_8420.jpg

Use your shit. Enjoy it. It's not like it is the only knife you own! The only thing which bugs me more than someone who is afraid to use their knife is someone who is afraid to blow their nose on their new fancy hankerchief.

View attachment 922109
Looks like you drove that one down your driveway.
Good job lol :thumbsup:
I use my knives but don’t abuse them .
Some folks don’t need to abuse them to enjoy them ;)

It took me a while to come to terms with this, especially as I began to EDC increasingly expensive knives for work. What I won't do is abuse a good knife by cutting something better suited to a different tool. I also carry a beater with a decent edge at work for tasks like scraping or cutting up against something that would wreck the edge or heavily scratch a handle or blade.

That said, for some reason blade scratches bother me more than handle scratches, perhaps because they seem more indicative of abuse to me. I also dislike scratches that come from absent-minded or careless use, like those that result from lack of concentration while sharpening.

I've generally thought of my knives in several categories--drawer queens, light users, general EDC, and work users, plus beaters. I'm moving on from drawer queens and cutting down on light users by moving them up into the general EDC or work user realms. I'm working toward a use it or lose it (but don't abuse it) policy with my knives, although there will still be some I want to keep nice.

I don't mind wear on the handles. Snail trails, rubs and maring are ok. Scratches (titanium) and chips where material is chunked out (micarta) start to speak of abuse (in my mind, that's what I see) and I wonder if the internals may start to be damaged. It's just how my brain works.

Chips and scratches on the blade are harder for me to take.

Scratches, dings, dents, or whatever show character. What incurs over normal edc is cool in my book. It gives the knife a history, or a story to tell. Take a look in the traditional thread. There are slip joint folders that were carried for numerous decades, and they show it. If those knives could talk I'd love to hear their stories.

Half and half on this one - I have a pull through sharpener line on a couple of mine I would like to rub out but, hey you are supposed to actually Use a knife, right :rolleyes:

Nope. I'll be honest, there are knives that I don't want scratched, but if that's the case I won't EDC them. I'm not big on safe queens, but I have a few that were gifted to me that more or less fall into that category.

Seems silly to carry a piece of crap, and have your good knife at home. I carry and scratch my best knives, I do have some that I bought to save and collect, but they are not my best knives. I'm more concerned with hystorical pieces, than new fancy knives.

In the end you only get true joy of ownership by using the item.

I’ve used every knife I own. This includes the TiSpine I bought for purely aesthetic reasons. I’ve used the TiSpine while on a ladder, reaching out away from me to make press cuts, with concrete for a cushion below.

If they earn scars, that’s a beautiful thing.

Not at all. Granted, I don't have any really expensive blades, but I don't think I would change my mind much. If it was to be used as an EDC at least.

One of my favorite carries is the Kershaw Shuffle 2,with the coated blade, and it has gotten a really beautiful wear on it.

Chicks dig scratched knives and scars on big dummies who cut themselves with their scratched knives.

Or so my wife tells me.

I don't want blade chips and stuff but scratches wouldn't bother me. There is an advantage- if the blade already has scratches then you won't be afraid to use it.

Back