Do you throw with different blade styles and sizes simaltaneously

We (the wife and I) have seven different knives of various lengths and weights. None of them are "valuable", just an assortment that we have accumulated. The smallest is a Hibben made by United Cutlery about 6 inches long. The largest is about 14 inches, a "Hunting thrower" made by the defunct Black Jack people. We have four targets spaced from 12 to thirty feet. We just knock around in the back yard and challenge each other to who has to take out the garbage, etc.
I just wondered if other throwers used different size knives during "backyard competition".

I usually take out all my throwing knives when I go out to throw. Usually I take along my hawk and hatchet too. I just throw whatever I feel like, but usually end up throwing knives of similar size for awhile, then switching to another size. I only have one target though, so I do it just so I can stay at one distance for a little while, instead of moving around a lot.

:D

Yeah, I pretty much grab a handful of spikes, knives, etc., and set to. Unfortunately, right now, I've only got the one target, and my shop setup is such that I can really only vary my range by about five feet, tops.

Still, it helps to get a general ability to "feel" a knife out and know how it'll rotate. I'm not very good, really, but I can usually feel a blade and get a half rotation, pretty clean. On rare occasions, when the stars all line up for me, I can do this in very impressive situations--once, in a college dorm room, a bunch of us lads were sitting about, bored, and I was throwing my penknife at an airgun target on the closet door (vandalism, I know, but we were bored...and that makes it okay, right?!? :rolleyes: ). So anyway, one of my mates tosses me HIS knife, remarking how it was impossible to throw, balance was all wrong, wouldn't fly straight, etc....

I caught it, flicked it open, and without even pausing, just flipped it into the target, sticking it perfectly into the door, just below the target (we always theorised that the target itself represented the head, and thus, the knife would have been dead center in the throat). After a stunned silence, he looked at me and said, "You couldn't possibly do that again!"

I looked back at him, folding my own knife up and putting it away, and simply said, "Do I need to?"

Probably one out of my lifetime quota of what, five, moments of cool? Still, it made my life easier...

So, yeah, it's good to throw various lengths, weights, styles, etc.--don't just learn to throw *A* knife from *A* distance.

:D

Back