Dodo PE or SE?

If I get ok grades this quarter, my mom will take to to a local dealer. I have been interested in the Dodo for a while. So, PE or SE? I don't really see that 2" of SE being that useful. I really don't know, Almost all of my knives are PE, so I don't really know how good SE is.

I.V said:
SE :D
you won't regret it
On the contrary. The PE is the way to go with the Dodo. The short recurved blade doesn't do very well with serrations. I had the SE edge version and I found that material got bound up in the recurve. I did not have this problem with the PE version. SE knives are great if your blade length is 3" or more. The Dodo's sub 3" blade is more suited to the PE because the material you are cutting is fed into the recurve acting like a giant oversized serration. Go with the PE.

Both are good, but in my experience SE works best in hawkbill type blades.

Ahhh...I feel old....In my days we had to get good grades or else.....Now apparantly kids these days get good grades, or else they won't get a spydie? :D

Wouter

K.V. Collucci said:
On the contrary. The PE is the way to go with the Dodo. The short recurved blade doesn't do very well with serrations. I had the SE edge version and I found that material got bound up in the recurve. I did not have this problem with the PE version. SE knives are great if your blade length is 3" or more. The Dodo's sub 3" blade is more suited to the PE because the material you are cutting is fed into the recurve acting like a giant oversized serration. Go with the PE.

What he said.

I find both the PE & SE Dodos to be indispensable. I personally would not be without either one of them. Small intricate carving or precise work the PE fits the bill. The SE can be used for so many utility purposes that they are too numerous to mention. I have Mr. (PE) & Mrs.(SE) Dodo both. You just can't be without either one. This is one Spyder to where both are necessary. :)

When I used to get good grades my mom would say "Good job." Sheesh. My vote is for PE. It's so sharp it makes me sick to my stomach. I've cut the crap out of myself with my PE Dodo a millions times. It's a little ridiculous, actually. Love the knife, but ask for some Band-Aids while you're at it.

Well, I haven't handled a serrated Dodo but I got a black PE version this week. Haven't put it down since it got here - great knife.

Phil

I've got a blue PE and it's great. That being said, I'm starting to think I "need" a SE one too. The only problem is what color to get :confused:

Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone have advice on how to sharpen the hawkbill-like tip area of the blade? I'm currently limited by the powers of a $20 Smith sharpening kit from Wally-World (yes, I know, hopefully a Sharpmaker will make its way to me on Christmas :D )

I'd recommend the plain edge. 50/50 Dodo might be interesting (serrations on the back of the edge, plain tip). If you've got your heart set on serrations, a Harpy or Merlin is ideal, though some of the straight edged models also work well - Delica, etc.

Ya, I was leaning towards PE.

And ya, what trout #2 said, any advice on sharpening. (I have sharpmaker. :p )

I heard it was hard or something because of the short blade and the recurve.

I bet the serrated would be easier to sharpen, but that's just me. I always find serrated knives way easier to sharpen, at least if you got a sharpmaker :)

parents have been rewarding good grades since the childhood days of my grandparents. it's just a nice thing to do, when you can. enjoy that Dodo!

abe m.

Back