Does $50 sound like too much to ask for ...

such as these?? L6 sawblade knives and they have been selectivley hardened and tempered and the finish is ok? I'm thinking of selling some of these (un-marked) for supplies'n belt money. The hafting on the one is stag tine, usually wasted and tossed in the "tinebucket", but split it will either make a right or left-handed knife handle.

mitch

If they'll hold a good edge, I agree with Doc, they should sell for more. One thing about them, the buyers shouldn't be afraid to use them, and that's always a plus to me. I like the way you split the tine and made the handle right or left handed, should be very comfortable. I'd also mark them, they do look good and the pitting just adds intrest.

Those are pretty nice Knives Mitch. If you've tested them and are satisfied with them, $50.00 is pretty low.
The going rate here for very poorly made, saw steel knives, here, is $75.00 to $125.

1942 Jeep spring (springs with beveled edges no less to start with...) 15 inch sliceing knife!! I left a lot of "NOS" (natural old steel) along the spine. It could be a trend!

mitch

I am with Will here. I woudl mark them as well. It may not be your forge work, but it is still your work...it deserves a mark if you have faith in the way they were made. That shoudl bring the value up to something reasonable as well to the new owner.

I like the pitting. I think it adds character to the blade, and the use of scrap material for handles always appeals to me. I am a junky for scavenge. I never throw away anything I think I can use.

Doc

Based on Peters note there, I woudl tell you to start at 200 and let them haggle you a little down to 175. Since they are not huge amounts of work I would allow for the haggling a bit.

Doc

Anything HANDCRAFTED is worth more. Stop and think: how much stuff in your house is handcrafted? Most of the stuff in the stores now comes from Communist China. Handcrafted IS worth a little more.

Burchtree

KnifeMaker & Moderator
I'm with the rest of the group -- sell 'em for more. Stamp one side "HardUse" and other with your name. Let them know it's your rough and tough user blades -- not no pretty boy toe slicer. :D

You could ask for more and let the buyer haggle you down abit. That way they feel they got a deal.

side note:

I was window shopping in a 'craft store' and saw 'handcrafted' knives that were going from $75.00 to $100.00. They were similar to yours in construction but not meant for use, they were for display use only. :barf:

Danbo

Platinum Member
Most people wouldn't even do a sheath for that price. I say raise the price.

I'm with everyone else, those are worth more money. With that little time in them, you're onto something good. Marking them as a "using" knife was a good idea too. Too many people think they've really done something when they create a knife like yours and charge out the yin yang for it; your modesty is truly refreshing. Thank you.

Mitch
just my honest 2 cents here and I don't want to deter you at all.

if you are just getting out and new to selling get the pits out of them..
or at least offer both ways and see what happens for you.
2 reasons
1 you have L6 and it will cause a place for rust to eat away. most customers won't take care of it the right way
but always tell them how to, so they can be reminded when they complain about rust put it on paper for them.

2 it's going to turn some buyers off to it, I'd say more buyers than not..
once you get known better you can play with the primitive look when your not so hungry just my opinion remember.