Does any one out there have any simmons hardware or keen kutter knives?

Nice Jack, P&G! Can you show a closer tangstamp picture?

Thanks guys.
Here is a closer picture of the tang stamp for you Charlie.
EO%20EC%20Simmons%2002.JPG

Very nice EO jack, pistonsand gears, thank you for the tang stamp pic requested by Charlie. Great knife, Cal! I know many companies had great old bone, however, I think Simmons Keen Kutters had some of the best. How long is it? The only one like it I can find in either Sellens or my catalogs is a 33721, which is listed as 3 1/4". I can't make out the pattern number stamped on the back of the main blade.

Dan

Great knife, Cal! How long is it? The only one like it I can find in either Sellens or my catalogs is a 33721, which is listed as 3 1/4". I can't make out the pattern number stamped on the back of the main blade. Dan
3 1/4 inches is correct.

Scored this one from a friend today. Simmons Hdwe Co, Germany. There is a line drawing Hornet on back tangs, and the Pearl is high grade. The curved scissors nestle nicely in the back of the knife, and all liners are coined, including in the EO notches! Ink on the blade as well. Nice, hefty knife!!

View attachment 735040 View attachment 735041 View attachment 735042 View attachment 735043 View attachment 735044
That is an unusual gem !!Thanks for the look Charlie

Hello , I was curious if anyone has seen a keen kutter tang stamp with just the letter KK inside the emblem ?
Thank you ,
J.T.

A belated thanks for that tang stamp picture, P&G!!

Great little stockman, Cal! How long??
Unusual with a spear blade, I'd say!

Wasn't someone looking for serpentine knives with spear blades? A while back?
Maybe Brad??

I think you're right. I think Brad was looking for examples. I posted a bunch of catalog cuts for Brad but I don't remember if I included the above examples.

Levine's terminology is a bit confusing to me. It fits his description of a "transitional cattle knife", not a stock knife. He defines a stock knife as always having a clip main in addition to a serpentine handle. He describes premier and transitional cattle knives as serpentine unlike other cattle knives. I think I wrote him questions about it in his forum but unfortunately its still not clear to me. "Cattle" and "stockman" were terms of art used in catalogs, of course, but I have never seen "premier" or "transitional" used in old ad copy. I guess they are collector terms. It seems a bit odd to call it a "transitional" knife since this example was made 30 to 40 years after 1890 but I guess it could be a long transition. It would seem a lot easier to just drop the requirement of a clip blade and call it a stockman.

As far as naming patterns, it's too bad there wasn't a definitive book of cutlery industry nomenclature, maybe way back! Levine made a valiant effort, but advertising spin has had its way with the language! And then there are the collectors' disjointed efforts at naming the patterns, to wit, "half-whittler"! It'd be nice to see a scholarly effort!:)

Is there any way of telling which ones of the E C Simmons came from Walden?
I would really like to get a hold of one of those....

’til later….
KAW

"Everlasting Sharp" means…. never having a dull moment.

Walden Knife Co made knives for Simmons before and after Simmons bought the company and until around 1923 when Winchester moved the equipment to Conn. If you collect a large range of catalogs, you could narrow the age of a particular pattern. I don't know a way to determine with certainty that the knife was made in Walden. After the move, some knives would have still been manufactured with the same dies and possibly even the same machines (Winchester took it with them).

Walden Knife Co did make knives with their own stamp.

Last edited:
My first knife purchase in quite awhile, a lovely pearl whittler. K343, 3 1/4", salesman's ink, sunken joints with an EO notch for each blade, liners coined on the back side, and one of the mintiest knives I own. Sellens says it was in the catalogs from 1905 thru 1923. Likely made by Walden.
DanRIMG1039.JPGRIMG1039.JPG RIMG1041.JPG RIMG1042.JPGRIMG1045.JPG RIMG1043.JPGRIMG1044.JPG

Last edited:
Just went thru this whole thread, I have a few Keen Kutters that I have posted in other threads (Old Knives and the 2016 OKCA thread), but not in this one. If no one minds, I would like to add them to this thread as well.
Here is a Simmons Hardware Co, Germany, pearl whittler. It is 3", sunken joints, coined liners all around.
Dan

RIMG0488.JPG RIMG0490.JPG RIMG0491.JPG

Back