Does Anybody Make a High Quality SAK?

Lenny

Gold Member
Looking for something simple, with basic tools, but with premium steel for the main blade, nice handle options, brass liners, etc. Basically looking for a GEC SAK.
Thanks all.

All SAKs are high quality imho,but a company from Japan does make a sak like knife with a zdp189 main blade,not sure the name,the one I have though lacks the high quality that a SAK has the rest of the tools are just so so.

BADBB35E-563D-4628-8326-1488CD0C4A95.jpeg The knife mentioned above is a G-SAKAI Fieldman Trekking Knife. It is the 91mm size. Only the main blade is ZDP-189. Handle offerings are wood and plastic.

Well, in the mean time, I purchased an Explorer.
I can really live without the magnifying glass and small blade, but I gotta have the real Phillips head screwdriver on the end. It's a very nice thing to have. I debated going minimalist again and getting another Soldier, but they don't make them any more. The next best thing is the Pioneer. Love the Alox scales and slimness of it. But, in the end, I opted for the Phillips on the end. That G-SAKAI is nice though!

For the life of me I just don't understand why Victorinox doesn't make more SAK's with the Phillips Head on the end. Seems like a no brainer to me.

For the life of me I just don't understand why Victorinox doesn't make more SAK's with the Phillips Head on the end. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Maybe because the small screw driver on the end of the can opener is such a fine Phillips driver, it isn't really needed?

I've been using SAK's since 1969, and the can opener end has always been my go-to Phillips tool. Works great.

The problem with a single Phillips bit is fitting the cross recess. Phillips bits come in 8 standard sizes: 4, 3, 2, 1, 0, 00, 000, and 0000. The fit problem is even more complicated for slotted bits. I carry a clam shell coin purse with the 1/4” hex drive bits that I think I will need and a sawed off ignition wrench.4EB631A8-9E87-4FEA-BE08-FF8589961CC7.jpeg42678C79-87C4-4D7B-9DFA-7348B3438B87.jpeg243C41F3-9002-4E48-A88D-84A348A2E6C9.jpeg

timthumb.php

As allready mentioned: Victorinox makes (several) high quality SAKs.

Böker Tech-tools are another option, if you want g-10 orcarbon fibre handles and Sandvik steel main blade.

Swiza knife blades are made from 440C, I was going to buy one myself but i cannot find one without a blade block so i can carry it in the UK

https://www.swiza.com/

I recommend the Duke of Edinburgh's Award Pocket Tool. I would like one, but they aren't sold in the USA and they rarely turn up on auction sites.

show_image.php

According to SAKwiki

The Victorinox Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Pocket Tool is currently the only 91mm model to have a round tip blade. It has been put together specifically for the award scheme. It is similar to the Compact, replacing the corkscrew with a Phillips screwdriver. The DofE Pocket Tool and the Compact are the only current 91mm knives to substitute the separate can opener and cap lifter tools with a combo tool (see Time Keeper it may also be available). The combo tool occupies the position opposite the main blade which most often has a small blade, allowing the knife to be one layer thinner. This knife contains a large number of functions for its relatively small size. This model is not available in all Markets.

I would enjoy telling ignorant Yanks that DofE is the Duke of Earl.

Why do you "need" a "premium steel"?
Whatever the standard steel it is that Victorinox uses, it does the job admirably, and it is easy to maintain the edge.

For a SAK with a premium/fancy blade, get the Damascus blade model shown in post 11.

Why do you "need" a "premium steel"?
Whatever the standard steel it is that Victorinox uses, it does the job admirably, and it is easy to maintain the edge.

For a SAK with a premium/fancy blade, get the Damascus blade model shown in post 11.

I read that Victorinox uses a variation of 1.4116 in their SAK blades.

I too would like a sak with a blade that held its edge longer. That would be killer. It would give my spydies a run for their money.

Just FYI. The flat head screwdriver has a distal taper. You can use the bottom corner of it on philips screws. Not ideal but it works. My preference is the electrician. I don’t miss the philips.

According to The Swiss Army Knife Owner's Manual, by Michael M. Young, the steel in Victorinox SAKs is "Chrome-moly stainless steel, type X-50, and the knife blades are hardened to Rockwell 56. The steel for the wood wpsaw, scissors and nail file is RC53. The screwdrivers, can opener and reamer is RC 52. The corkscrew and main springs are at RC 49." (I shortened the paragraph considerably).

Jim

Back