1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Does anyone have experience with BLACKHAWK! knives?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Plasmio, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Plasmio

Plasmio

Jun 20, 2012
  2. B0$$Man

B0$$Man

Aug 2, 2012
    The tatang is a supurb knife, but the nightedge is another story. It comes VERY dull and with a piece of crap sheath. Overall, it is not worth $100. If you are looking for a good knife, here a re a few brands: Ka-Bar, Kershaw, Buck, Gerber, ColdSteel, and only a few by Blackhawk. Hope this helps.

3. j_killa

j_killa

Aug 8, 2010
    Hey B0$$Man, I think that you should not write that the knife comes dull in general without contacting the customer support.

Just use google and google for the nightedge. You gonna find a review in which someone got a dull one.
    He contacted customer support, returned the dull one and received a shaving sharp new knife.
    They apologized for having a bad batch of knives. This knife is not GENERALLY DULL.

I think it is an excellent design.
    It has a super strong point AND a back edge with serrations. Thats just awesome.

What I dislike are the serrations on the main edge. I already contacted their customer service because of that but they won't offer it without them.

The sheath could be better but it is good enough.

It is on my wish-list but I am too lazy to get rid of the main edge serrations.....

4. erhodes

erhodes Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2012
    I actually own a blackhawk nightedge and the original nightwing. Both are great knives and came sharp enough to shave hair out of the box. I have found that the nightedge can take a lot of abuse especially the tip with any noticeable damage. I have stabbed it through plywood, coconuts, and even thin sheet metal and it has suffered no deformations or even really dulled through the process. Overall I would rate it an excellent knife for the money and one of my personal favorites. That said I do not like the sheath it comes with but since I like the knife so much I had a custom one done by mashed cat and it is now near perfect.

5. j_killa

j_killa

Aug 8, 2010
    thank you for sharing your experiences, erhodes.
    this helped me decide

6. j_killa

j_killa

Aug 8, 2010
    I just recieved my nightedge.

First impression:

Wow, that thing is small! I thought, it would be a bit bigger.
    Smaller than my ESEE-6 and Leatherneck-SF.

The box said "ballistic nylon sheath included" but what I got looks more like those Cold Steel Secure-Ex things.

The sheath is good. Many possibilities for paracord / molle plate / tek-lok.
    There is a small rattle - the knife does not fit perfectly. But it is secured in the sheath without retention strap.
    There is just a little plastic "lever" which blocks the knife from coming out, the system is very nice.

The blade grind is perfect!!! So everyone who gets this thing with a bad grind, contact Blackhawks CS and send it back!!!
    What I dislike is the sharpness of the serrations. I need to touch them up now.

The grip is comfortable. But from what I read so far, I expected the material to be softer.
    There could be some more texturation. Maybe it will get slippery when wet.

The blade was very greasy - thats cool, otherwise it would have rust on it's way to my place.
    I read people complaining about that ... lolz.
    It also had some dust on it, long journey ;))

What I did not like and what I will definitely tell the seller:
    The knife itself was to be secured in the box with a little zip tie.
    This zip-tie was broken, so the point of the knife pierced through the carton.

I noticed that kinda late - luckily no one got cut.

Overall I am very pleased with this knife, it seems like a quality tool.
    Not just a fighting knife - the unique grind leaves it a very strong point and possibilities to baton..

I can't wait to take this guy in the woods and test it. Unfortunately I have no camera ATM, maybe I can lend one.

7. j_killa

j_killa

Aug 8, 2010
    sry 4 double post

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  8. j_killa

j_killa

Aug 8, 2010
    little correction - grind is not even - hard time sharpening with the sharpmaker...

9. erhodes

Jan 30, 2012
    Glad you are enjoying it. If the grind isn't even maybe contact blackhawk and see if they would fix it for you. I have heard that their customer service is great. Never had to use it myself. The grind on mine seemed to be even but it is kindof hard to tell since I use a lansky diamond hone set which evens things out very quickly if there is an issue.

10. j_killa

j_killa

Aug 8, 2010
    I contacted the seller before shipping it he should check whether the grind is OK.
    Shipping cost is too high for me to ship it back to Blackhawk.

I just sharpened it a bit - serrations are OK now. Plain edge needs still some metal removed on one side,
    but thats just 15 minutes more work. Maybe tomorrow :)

I already did some tests - grip is very good when stabbing.
    Tip strength is awesome so far.
    The jimping is too smooth, could be bit sharper.

If I find the time, I gonna add some thoughts after using it in the woods.

11. erhodes

Jan 30, 2012
    I do agree that the jimping could be a little sharper but that isn't too hard to fix. May not look as good after but if you are going to use it then it doesn't really matter. I have found no issues at all with the tip strength and it has amazingly not dulled on the tip through all the stabbing that I have put it through. Overall I think it is a very good design.