Does anyone own an Ontario SP8 ? Your oppinons are needed.

I have seen some videos on the Ontario SP8. I really like the looks and versatility of this tool. I have heard the saw back is lacking but not a deal killer for me.
More than likely going to pull the trigger on this one.
Just wondered if anyone out there has one and their thoughts on it? Thanks for any feedback you can give me.

never heard anything bad about them. If you like that style check out the CUMA Battle Cleaver from Combat Ready Knives

Stout as hell.
Rather pry-bar like though. A Junglas or regular machete will out-chop it.
You will NOT break it though. :)

I bought one about 10 years to throw in the back of the truck. Its been used a burger flipper more than anything. Its a good tool but it doesn't really do anything well. As stated the saw isn't that sharp and awkward to use. It does have decent weight so it makes a decent chopper for wood up to 4 or 5 inches in diameter. At 1/4" the blade is too thick for most camp chores.

I've had one for 15 years now, when I go out cuttin' wood with the chainsaw it always goes with me for quick limbing.

The saw back works great for making triggers for dead falls and snares.

It's one stout, tough sharpener pry bar, I've hammered it through tons of firewood with no ill effects.

I just got a used one on a trade. It's heavy and thick and to me kinda performs more like a hatchet. It needs a solid backstop to get the most out of a chop. A lighter blade like the BK9 is much more forgiving in that regard. Even so, I doubt I'll be parting with mine anytime soon.

Thanks for the input. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
I had no idea its been around that long 15+ years. I just found out about it, thought it was new.
I will be getting one before the year is out :cool:.
I like that its a chopper/pry bar/trowel. It's different, I think it will come in handy.

The older ones had a decent saw. The newer models, eh, well it looks sorta like a saw. They're not bad choppers though. As long as you're not getting it for the saw, you won't be disappointed.

It's a beast of a blade. I used it to chop down some thick limbs on a tree. It is far from a slicer. It's a sharpened baseball bat. Cricket bat perhaps.

I have one that I used with my wood burning grill/ smoker. It works well for chopping/ splitting. I have never complained.

If you're looking to do a lot of batoning with it the knife will take it no problem, just use a green hunk of wood to baton with, your baton will last longer. You could also take a grinder :eek: to the teeth on the saw back but like I said earlier, it's great for making triggers for snares for figure 4 dead falls. It make for a very parallel consistent notch which is a big plus when making triggers, it makes them predictable.

I have one. The saw is a little less than worthless but it's one heck of a stout knife. It didn't chop as well as I expected it to but after Richard J sharpened it for me, changing the grind in the process it became a chopping beast.

Back