1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Busse offer a spa/sharpening service?

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by OilMan, Apr 10, 2018.

1. OilMan

OilMan Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2004
    Looked through the stickys and couldn't/didn't find the answer. Just picked up a 2nd hand NMFSH with some edge damage, was wondering if Busse offered a sharpening/spa service and if so what would it cost me and what is the turn around time? Debating on who I will send it to to fix and would like some options. (My usual stuff goes to REK, just don't have the time to do it myself..)

I don't have it yet but here is what I'll be dealing with:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any help/direction,

Greg

Mike Pierson and luethge like this.
  2. luethge

luethge Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2017
    Just wanted to say nice score !!!! Perfect camp knife !

Mike Pierson and OilMan like this.
  3. safetyman

safetyman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 8, 2008
    No spa service (as in re-coating or custom mods), but they will sharpen your knives.

Mike Pierson, Dadpool and OilMan like this.
  4. Steven65

Steven65 Traditional Hog Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2008
    I stand to be corrected but as I understand it those chips and dings in the edge are all covered by the warranty. You send it in to the shop and they will sort it out.

OilMan likes this.
  5. OilMan

May 6, 2004
    Any idea on current turn around times for Shop work/sharpening?

TIA,

Greg

6. Midwest Firecraft

Midwest Firecraft

Sep 16, 2012
    You would have to call to be sure, but two years ago when I sent my SOB in I had it back in two weeks.

Mike Pierson and OilMan like this.
  7. zombieassassin

zombieassassin Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Put more nicks 'n' dings in it....then send it in

8. dericdesmond

dericdesmond Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 10, 2007
    Recent change? I can recall atleast one I paid to have recoated years ago. Have also known of plenty mods they have done for extra $. Granted none as of recently.

9. safetyman

safetyman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Not sure how recent the changes were made but I emailed the shop a few weeks ago and that was the response I received. The Custom Shop is closed for the time being but sharpening services are still offered.

musicisevil, OilMan and Mike Pierson like this.
  10. gk4ever2

gk4ever2 Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2008
    Unfortunately, the Custom Shop has been closed to customer requests for at least a couple years, with no end in sight (according to Jerry). :(

OilMan likes this.
  11. tuica

tuica Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Hi Greg.

For top notch sharpening you may want to look (if I may be so bold as to mention a non Busse shop), to Murray Carter at Carter Cutlery. For those concerned, I own one Carter Neck Knife, and many, many, many, many, many, many more than that in Bussekin .

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    OilMan and Mike Pierson like this.
  12. bubbaskyjacker

bubbaskyjacker

Feb 24, 2008
    Use it , the Sharpen it !!

Full spa treatment send it to @AZTimT for a tune up and strip!

13. Munroc

Munroc

Sep 20, 2017
    Would be keen if anyone new of a good place to get knives sharpened in Melbourne Australia?

Darkjedi2 likes this.
  14. tuica

Jul 30, 2013
    Andy the Aussie is up the road apiece in Sydney. Perhaps he could give you a lead in your area. Good luck.

15. clampdaddy

clampdaddy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2013
    I posted an "I'll take it" on that one this morning and then found out it was already sold. Congrats on that score!

OilMan and tuica like this.
  16. OilMan

May 6, 2004
    Got to be quick in this game. :)

17. clampdaddy

clampdaddy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2013
    I didn't "want" to buy it. It had been up for a couple of days and scrolled over it a few times until finally my brain said "WOULD YOU JUST BUY THAT DAMN KNIFE ALREADY!!!!". Lol!

OilMan likes this.
  18. Cobalt

Cobalt

Dec 23, 1998
    A couple of minutes on a coarse stone would remove those little dents, which look to be about 0.3mm deep. or invest in a harbor freight 1 inch belt sander and run it across a course belt. 4-5 passes on each side at 20dps would likely remove those dings. That many passes on a coarse belt will not heat the edge either. finer belts heat the edge faster needing more care.

Yonose and OilMan like this.
  19. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 29, 2010
    .....nope sorry I can't help. I swapped messages with a guy up in BrisVegas that offered a full sharpening service about a specific job but he stopped replying.

20. tuica

Jul 30, 2013
    Thanks Andy. Thought it was worth a shot. Be well.