Recommendation? Does GEC offer a 4 inch blade?

MTHall720

Gold Member
I've been trying to find out if either GEC or S&M offer a single blade model where the blade itself is either 4 inches or close to it, and opens with one steady pull.

Thanks for any thoughts.

The blade on the #21 Bull Buster is just shy of 3.5” (closed length is 4.5”). Off the top of my head I can’t think of a larger longer GEC folder. It does have a half stop, so it obviously doesn’t fit the criteria of opening in one smooth motion.

Correction: the #98 is longer, 4 7/8” closed. GEC doesn’t really list blade length, and I don’t have one to measure, but an old listing from a dealer’s site says the blade length is 3.75”. Also, according to this thread, the main blade on the whittler version does not have a half stop, while the main on the Texas Camp Knife does.

Your best chances of a 4" or close to that length blade on a s&m or gec are in the form of a folding hunter or coke bottle pattern. The upcoming gec 97 may be a good choice for you. I don't know it's blade length but it's listed closed length is 4 3/4".

Your best chances of a 4" or close to that length blade on a s&m or gec are in the form of a folding hunter or coke bottle pattern. The upcoming gec 97 may be a good choice for you. I don't know it's blade length but it's listed closed length is 4 3/4".

Yeah, that #97's gonna be a big 'un. :D

I've been trying to find out if either GEC or S&M offer a single blade model where the blade itself is either 4 inches or close to it, and opens with one steady pull.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Now you're talk'in :thumbsup:
I was using my Endura 4 today and my Case Trapper.
Would be nice to have a single blade Traditional longer than the Trapper.

hahahaha I was thinking today that a "REAL" gentleman's knife needs to be long enough to slice a Croissant in half the hard way like I did today before putting jam on the halves.

Sure opening letters can be done with any old thing but it takes a real knife with a decent edge to do the former.

Thanks very much everyone. My only long blade traditional now is a Case Toothpick. It is a delight to use.

S&M used to make a 5" toothpick with a blade just shy of 4". I have the 2000 File and Wire one in my pocket. Nice knife with ATS34 blade.

Queen had one in their regular line at the same size with a D2 blade and a variety of handle materials.

I believe the Case Bose Yukon Jack has a 4" blade. That knife has a monster of a blade and handle plus weight to match :) The Case Wilfred Works Lockback comes in at about 3 1/2" but is a nice big knife, light weight, slim blade. Not 4" but a big usable knife.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Maybe the Mountain Man lockback? There is a slipjoint version, but I think I remember it having a half stop.

I will throw my weight behind the suggestion of a Case Bose Yukon collaboration. Almost 4 inches with no half stop. It is a large knife but completely worth the inconvenience of the size and weight.
You were asking for a GEC or SM so you might consider a 63 or 65 they both run about 3 1/2 or so but both have half stops.
I always carry a traditional with a longer blade and these are the three that end up in my pocket or on my belt the most. My favorite is the Bose Yukon.

The Bose Yukon has an amazingly comfortable handle. Thick blade but a full flat grind. I've dismembered a few chickens with it. The ATS34 steel is a workhorse.

Last edited:
The old Remington UMC Master Guide banana trapper has a 4" blade, and some nice bone, too!

vZLGgmn.jpg

4dBh1XP.jpg

I have both the Camillus Remington and the Queen Winchester banana trappers. For EDC, I like the Remington better. It's a little lighter in weight and slimmer. The Remington is in 440A (I think) but it's a good steel. It has a very unique spring system for the lock invented by Mr. Gibbs who now works for AGRussell. You can flick it open like a "modern" knife and close it one handed too. I see a lot of them at gun shows and flea markets. The price is kind of variable, as high as $80 but as low as $45. Mine has a small crack in the delrin at the center pin, but it hasn't hurt its function yet.

My Winchester is in some fine stag, which makes it heavier, plus the 1095 steel means more maintenance to keep it shiny. I've only seen one Winchester in the wild and it's now mine :)

Several companies, Queen and A G Russell for sure, used to make a “fruit tester’s” knife. Slim knife with a long narrow blade. A bit lightweight, but I think it may have had the length you’re looking for.

Back