Does Paul have a minimum for S30V?

I know several of you know, and I figured this was better than bugging Paul.

I have two kitchen knives out of S30V, and I wanted to know if he has a minimum batch requirement.

Thanks,
Nick

i send mixed batches all the time. it costs a little more and it might take a couple of days longer because he has to get other pieces in to fill the batch.

I remember many months ago that Paul had to wait awhile to do
S90V, because of not having enough to make a batch. Is this
still true? Sorry, I just realized I changed the subject a bit.

Nick: Please bug me when ever you have a question. Just for the 2 blades it would be $14.00 each,$2.50 handling plus ret. post.I missed you several times at the blade show,Would have liked to meat you. Paul.

Paul,

Reading between the lines .... you do heat treating?

I'm new here and still working on the first knives, but what services do you offer and how should I contact you?

I understand that o1 is a good metal to start on, but I didn't know where to get it treated.

Thanks,

Steve

itrade,

I believe that Paul Bos only heat treats stainless steels, thanks to California laws. Paul Bos is the numero uno heat treater out there for stainless steels. And he's a nice guy to talk to on the phone.

To find some heat treaters near you, I'd suggest starting a new post here on Shop Talk about the locations of heat treaters and you should get lots of info.

I hope this helps.

Crayola,

I'm in CA, too. So maybe I should just use an air hardened steel.

I'll email paul.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve, why not heat treat your O1 yourself? I use carbon steels exclusively and my heat treater(local knifemaker) finally asked mey why didn't I do my own heat treating. It's not difficult.

Make a small forge (that's how the madness starts):p with some 1 1/4" black pipe from Lowes drill a series of 1/4" holes about 3/4 or 1" apart. Dig a hole and put the pipe on the ground, use some ducting to hook a hair dryer to it. Pour in some charcoal and fire it up, when the blade turns non-magnetic (checked with an ole speaker magnet) quench in some preheated ATF (tranny fluid). Check with a file after it cools, if the file skates you're good to go, temper in a toaster oven from a yard sale.

The next thing to do is buy an anvil, lots of hammers and tongs... then a propane forge a press...more hammers.... :D

After I started heat treating I just HAD to try whomping on some hot steel....

Good luck

Hey Paul thanks! :D

For those of you that don't know, Paul is more than willing to help out and answer questions. I didn't mean at ALL that he would have acted inconvenienced by my question.

I just know he is one of the busiest guys I know, and I also knew there were a handful of guys here that send him S30V and they would know.

So sorry if that came across wrong :(

Paul, I heard you were over that at Blade...man, I'm really sorry I missed you. I was so excited to be there I think I spent all but about 2 minutes running around looking at stuff and meeting folks! ( = not at the table) ;)

Thanks again,
Nick

Back