Does stropping leather matter?

At some point, I read that buffalo leather veg-tan was the best because the tanning process, yada, yada... I'm in over my head. Does it matter in the least? Is there any type of leather, or tanning process, any aspect of leather strops that make one better than the other?

Edit; If compound is important to know, I use Venev diamond compound only. Lately, 1 & 2 micron.

If it's used with compound, all that's needed is a substrate that's fairly smooth & firm and holds compound well. That could be leather or something else, like fabric (denim, canvas, linen) or paper, or wood.

The specific type of leather only matters if it's going to be used bare, with no compound. Then some types of high quality leather, like horsehide, are reputed to do better. This is due to a greater concentration of silicates in the leather. And some high-end strops in horsehide are also processed much more thoroughly to compress the leather and condition the surface specifically for stropping uses (barber's strops, for example). Covering such leathers with compound essentially renders moot and wastes the desirable qualities present in the leather itself.

Last edited:
The specific type of leather only matters if it's going to be used bare, with no compound. Then some types of high quality leather, like horsehide, are reputed to do better. This is due to a greater concentration of silicates in the leather. And some high-end strops in horsehide are also processed much more thoroughly to compress the leather and condition the surface specifically for stropping uses (barber's strops, for example). Covering such leathers with compound essentially renders moot and wastes the desirable qualities present in the leather itself.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Cordovan leather used bare, it is highly regarded and regarded as the best by many experienced in sharpening. I have a small Cordovan Leather strop that i use bare, it is superior to Kangaroo in my experience. I have many Kangaroo leather strops, with different compounds, they all work really well, but the Cordovan is superior. They are not cheap though. Have a good weekend.

Great advice has been provided. I’ll just tell you that in my own experience I only use leather from the right buttock of endangered animals for my strops. It’s more of a status thing.

I've used many different leather strops for straight razors. Horsehide is a pleasure to use but the end result is the same.
That has been my experience as well. I have my favorite based on feel, speed, but I end up at the same place with all I have tried.

At some point, I read that buffalo leather veg-tan was the best because the tanning process, yada, yada... I'm in over my head. Does it matter in the least? Is there any type of leather, or tanning process, any aspect of leather strops that make one better than the other?

Edit; If compound is important to know, I use Venev diamond compound only. Lately, 1 & 2 micron.
See this article by the guru Steve Kramer. While the type of leather can make a difference the correct preparation of the leather before making a strop is more important.

Preparing your Strop Leather

While the type of leather can make a difference the correct preparation of the leather before making a strop is more important.
You are quite correct my friend. An often overlooked task, but so important. 👌

They say Kangaroo leather is the best ( ? They )
I think it's a little thin ..
Nice thick Cow Hide works for me ..
Either the tanned / processed side up or down ( Do both )
I run pure leather , and leather with the cheap green compound ..

Don't use Naugahyde. Naugah's are endangered.
the beast specimen, at this point, is already dead (that's a fact sorry), so you might well make use of its remains not let it go to waste.

if your buying of 1 sheet, encourages him to quintuple his hunting business, which would result in 5x more killings, just because of you, we doht know that. it's not a fact sorry.

my strops are all old heavy work belts that iv'e worn for years. cost about $10 a pop and work very well.

Back