Does the XM-18 qualify as a gravity knife?

I live in NY. I know what constitutes a gravity knife and am curious if this falls under that. I do not have to worry about it because I am an active LEO, but am unsure if I would carry it in CT or surrounding states.

I am on the fence about ordering an XM-18 3" non-flipper or another Sebenza.

I live in NY. I know what constitutes a gravity knife and am curious if this falls under that. I do not have to worry about it because I am an active LEO, but am unsure if I would carry it in CT or surrounding states.

Get off the fence officer and get the XM-18!! I bought a Sebenza (large 21) and the square hump in the back (rear top) of the handle puts a hot spot in the palm of your hand. I sold it a week later. Many members have ditched the large Sebenza for the very same reason. Why not a 3.5" XM-18??

The XM-18 feels like it's made for your hand - the 3.5 or 4" - I've never bought such small blade knives except for the Swiss Army. :confused:

Last edited:

"another" would imply that you already own a Sebenza. Go with the XM-18, and maybe think about the 3.5 inch. To me, it's the perfect size (I've had a 3" and I've had a 4").

Another does mean I have a small Sebenza. Got it at a great price and probably should have bought a large the first time. I want to start collecting anyway, just want to satisfy my urge right now, and get the other when my b-day rolls around.

I also have a Benchmade, Spyderco and Falkniven right now, but it's time to step it up!

This has been a much contested issue these days. The answer is, if you are in NY state (which is a place you may find yourself as you are from Connecticut) the XM-18 would be considered a gravity knife. Just about anywhere else other than NY state, where the lawmakers are a tiny bit less corrupt, your XM-18 should be fine.

It is worth noting that the XM-18 has a pretty light detent, which can cause some less educated police officers to confuse it for a gravity knife. However, you are an LEO, so really none of this matters for you anyway - theoretically, you should even be able to carry an automatic knife unrestricted if you so choose.

I know I am good for NY. Some of my co-workers prefer to carry long fixed blade knives but I prefer a folder.

Guess I am convinced! Will be ordering a 3.5". Just have to pick the color.

I know I am good for NY. Some of my co-workers prefer to carry long fixed blade knives but I prefer a folder.

Guess I am convinced! Will be ordering a 3.5". Just have to pick the color.

I have all 3 sizes and I will definately say the 3.5" is the best all around size and its made to fit your hand. I love CRK and the sebenzas, but I will admit the xm feels more comfortable in hand. I have also had flippers and non flippers. I prefer the flippers compared to the non flippers. To myself and others, the flippers give you 2 ways to open the knives ( flipper and thumbstud ), while the non-flipper only gives you 1 way to open the knife ( thumbstud ). There may be that occasion where one hand is occupied or slippery and you might have difficulty opening with the thumbstud. Just a thought. The main reason I like the flipper is not to open the knife, but the fact that it doubles as a hand guard and keeps your hand in place and from sliding up on the sharp end during heavy use. For this reason alone, my non-flipper has become expendable. Any xm's I look at now are flipper only. In your line of work, I personally feel the flipper is the way to go. It gives you 2 ways to open the knife and the guard is invaluable.

As far as if the xm is considered a gravity knife. I shipped an xm-18 flipper to Australia and they have tough customs for importing. On advise from Rick, the pivot was tightened down very tight as to where the flipper did not work and the knife was very very tight. Only by doing this was it allowed through customs. It was a nervous experience as they just simply destroy the knife. So after that, and after reading the gravity knife laws, it makes one think. Since your a LEO, you have nothing to worry about, but for the average joe, it makes a big difference.

Keep Up The Good Fight

it is funny how I don't carry my firearm much off-duty but feel naked without a knife in my front pocket. And so the expensive knife addiction continues...

it is funny how I don't carry my firearm much off-duty but feel naked without a knife in my front pocket. And so the expensive knife addiction continues...

They're an absolute steal at LEO discount prices. You won't be disappointed. You'll still think your Sebenza is a nice knife but wonder whatever took you so long to get the XM-18. :thumbup:

I agree with the 3.5" flipper, for gloves and the handguard!

Here is what I think (and I am open to your corrections :)) -
xm18 and xm24 to this matter, have not been designed as a gravity knives, so if you carry it w/o any modifications done to it to make it a gravity knife, its not a gravity knife.
If the pivot is loose, its a mechanical issue which could and perhaps should be fixed. BTW, I'd rather fix the framelock tension (by bending it), so the ball detent keeps the blade in closed position than over tighten the pivot screw.

Imagine how naked you will feel with anything else but an XM-18 in your pocket. I occasionally try and put a Spyderco or Benchmade and I have not made it out the driveway before I run back inside the house to change!!!

I could not pass this up. Got it NIB at a great price. Guess the XM-18 will have to wait until Xmas.

Lousy cell phone pic. I cannot find the card that came with it, but it says 2008. I think the guy at the counter gave the wrong box. Just noticed it says Mnandi on the box. Crud! Now I have to call the store. Is it supposed to come with a pouch of some sort? That is what I get for being in a rush...

ericboo
[/URL][/IMG]

I could not pass this up. Got it NIB at a great price. Guess the XM-18 will have to wait until Xmas.

Lousy cell phone pic. I cannot find the card that came with it, but it says 2008. I think the guy at the counter gave the wrong box. Just noticed it says Mnandi on the box. Crud! Now I have to call the store. Is it supposed to come with a pouch of some sort? That is what I get for being in a rush...

ericboo
[/URL][/IMG]

WOW, great score my friend. I am a HUGE CRK fan, and love their knives more than any other. You will certainly be able to find XM's around, but beauties like this do not come around too often. A Graphic Regular Sebenza is Awsome, Beautiful and Second To None. :thumbup::thumbup:

Love the knife and will be getting an XM18 soon for sure. Now I know I will stick with the 3.5" models from now on.

Just stinks I have to drive and hour back to the store to get the warranty card and pouch. I may call them back and see if they can mail it to me, but I do not trust they will.

Back