1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED! Live stream of the winners being picked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ6xurJWkhs

Hey folks! We're having a Becker Giveaway over in the Giveaway forum, check it out and have a chance to win a free Becker 4 Machax, Becker 5 Magnum Camp, or Becker 15 Short Trailing Point!
  3. Hey folks! We were alerted to a bug where several hundred members somehow got permanent paid memberships. We're going through and correcting that now. Somehow some of you somehow got yeaaaaaaars of free memberships, and, well, it happens. If your membership accidentally is turned off please post in the Service & Support forum thread with your transaction ID and I'll fix it

Doesn't anyone go on outings anymore?

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Bmurray, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Haven't seen very much in outings being posted up this summer Those are my favorite threads especially with campfires, food, booze and yes, knives.

2. Cohutta

Cohutta

Feb 17, 2017
    All the time. I just typically forget to take pictures

Bmurray likes this.
  3. thurin

thurin Wanderer Platinum Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Yep. I was out this last weekend but didn't post anything as I have no knife pictures so figured it was too off topic.

Bmurray likes this.
  4. swonut

swonut KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 1, 2007
    Not much any more, I just take trips from the cube vicariously with you guys. This week I went fishing in Alaska and camping in Missouri and built a fire in my rocket stove on my back porch in Kansas. Where will you guys take me next week???

Tekton, Wurrwulf and Bmurray like this.
  5. Bmurray

Feb 9, 2012
    why don't you come over to my house and we'll do an outing together, play with knives and drink some beers

6. swonut

swonut KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 1, 2007
    I might take you up on that offer once the weather breaks a little bit. Lord knows I like beer and knives.

Bmurray likes this.
  7. Bmurray

Feb 9, 2012
    Sounds good. if you remember, we're in the Festus area south of STL

8. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    I would like to see more outings too, even if they are short trips. Even if it is a pic of the knife in a rock by stream or near a tree, that's helps too.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  9. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Soon! I'm almost done with my crazy spring and early summer.

10. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Thanks, keep the, coming everyone. Can't wait to see some pics.

11. pertinux

pertinux Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 1, 2012
    My outings and go-alongs don't rival most of yours when it comes to knife usage and pictures thereof, but my FF Stubby Muk fulfilled its most frequent, heart-warming role-- Morale!-- to perfection in one of the best days out I've ever had.

This guy, my second-oldest...
    [​IMG]

... has been painting these guys...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

... and we'd been actively talking about getting back to the Gettysburg battlefield together, looking for a When. I'd taken the kids often when we were all younger, but it had now been years.

Then?

This guy, my oldest, currently stationed in CA...
    [​IMG]

... showed up in my PA kitchen, as a Surprise (!!!!!!!!!):
    [​IMG]
    (actual footage, taken through my tears)

... and I took a sudden day off, and the top off my already doorless Jeep...

[​IMG]
    (before)

... and the three of us headed to Gettysburg and had one of the best days we've ever had together. OF EVER.

We reserved a tour with a Licensed Battlefield Guide, an older gentleman who upon arriving at the Jeep stopped and asked, "This is your car?" (Yes.) "This is the vehicle we're taking?" (Yes.)

Pause.

"Cool!"

[​IMG]
    (from the site where Reynolds fell.)

A perfect vehicle for our perfect day, the open views and ease of access and the part where it's just way freaking cool. I so loved riding along with my guys, my oldest driving, in my Jeep. It was an integral part of everything great about our day. [Stuff alone can't fix anyone's life, but the right stuff at the right time? Oh, does it make a great difference.]

Son II and I hopped in and out of the back all day. His footprint:
    [​IMG]

Pennsylvania Men:
    [​IMG]

Knife content, or: what I had in my pocketses:
    [​IMG]

Signs here and there in the Visitor Center/Museum indicated that no weapons were allowed on the premises; fortunately, my pocket tools and I went in, through, and about without incident. (I was prepared to run back to the Jeep and stow 'em, if need be.)

I am happy to report the at the Stubby Muk acquitted itself well in the expert dispatch of a reuben at Gettysburg Eddie's at the end of our day.

Also? The entire day and my ongoing (re)reading have led directly to my newest Fiddleback, the bolstered Oreo Esquire, because this is exactly how my brain works:

[​IMG]

I'm thankful beyond words for the day with my young men, for them, and for how everything came together. And loved having my Stubby Muk along with me, throughout.

An Outing. :)

~ P.

12. Bmurray

Feb 9, 2012
    Now this is an outing!

13. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    very special indeed ~P.

thanks for sharing

14. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    Lily and I have started kyaking, but damn if I can get the pics off this damn phone to fotki. I meant to post this stuff last week.

Bmurray likes this.
  15. Southern Gent

Southern Gent Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Keep an eye out. There just may be a Fiddleback GTG in the Atlanta area sometime in August.

16. Dritios

Dritios Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 4, 2017
    IMG_0735.JPG

Just coming down off the Rocky Mountain with my boys. 4 days backpacking in the mountains is a good way to reset.

17. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    looks like a nice place to spend a few days "chillin" @Dritios

18. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    I've got another high lake camping trip planned for the end of the month, and mushroom season is about to start going again. Should be plenty of pictures incoming from me!

Bmurray and thurin like this.
  19. thurin

thurin Wanderer Platinum Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Taking the whole extended family (mom, sisters, brother, spouses, nieces, nephews, my family, sure I'm forgetting someone) camping in Rocky Mountain National Park next weekend. Gonna be doing some fire starting and knots classes with the kiddos and some hiking around. Will try and get some pics to post here. Hopefully the pics won't be of me losing my mind while trying to herd cats.

VANCE, Odaon and Bmurray like this.
  20. heat_treat

heat_treat Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2015
    I too am out and about but don't usually get the pictures going until I get back. Currently half way through a three week trip to the West with the wife and kids. And yes, I have a Fiddleback with me and will try to get some pics with some knife content. :)

Yellowstone Lake
    [​IMG]

VANCE, Nbrackett and Bmurray like this.