Dog loss soon

Yo Mama

Gold Member
Shes 15, and the best dog, looks like soon we may have to put her down. A tumor on the side of her face is getting larger quickly and will start affecting her.

I know she's old, but I'm having a real hard time coming to terms with this, and getting the kids through this is going to be the worst part. I dont know what I'm going to do without her, she been there through everything.

For now she's still eating and prancing around, so we take it every day I guess it's all one can do. Watching the slow inevitable is tearing me up though.

Sorry to hear this. We will be going through the same thing soon enough, as ours is 13, and while physically fine, she is going through 'doggy dementia'.

She was there, and helped my wife get through the worst of some physical and emotional issues. She is the older sibling to my 10 y/o daughter, and has been her friend, playmate, and protector her whole life. Both will be devastated when her time comes, as will I. So I completely empathize with you.

Every day with your dog is a gift. Enjoy whatever time you have left with her.

I'm so sorry. An author once wrote that "A dog's life is too short. Its their only fault, really." There is not anything worse for a pet owner than to do what has to be done. Its impossible to know what the right time is. If she is still eating and prancing about, she still has a quality of life.

I am not a religious man, but this poem has always given me hope when it comes to having to make the decision.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Been there bro! It is tough. Had to put down my Chessie at 5 from kidney failure. Watched him go from 115 lbs to 62:(. Enjoy your time while you still have it. Condolences

Shes 15, and the best dog, looks like soon we may have to put her down. A tumor on the side of her face is getting larger quickly and will start affecting her.

I know she's old, but I'm having a real hard time coming to terms with this, and getting the kids through this is going to be the worst part. I dont know what I'm going to do without her, she been there through everything.

For now she's still eating and prancing around, so we take it every day I guess it's all one can do. Watching the slow inevitable is tearing me up though.
Sorry to hear that, know what it's like to lose a beloved dog. Take care.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your kind words and encouragement. It really does help, and I'm sorry for the loses that you have also gone through. I wish you each comfort and healing with a missing piece of your life that will always be changed.

Thank you S sv4 Worldwatcher Worldwatcher danbot danbot A austexjg S Shann J jaseman

I'm lucky that my work is pet friendly, and I can go home during the day to check on her. We may gather a list of bucket list items for her to do in the next few to make sure she's as happy as she can be.

My condolences.
I just put my boy down 9 days ago... due to an aggressive tumor that impacted his mobility & caused him significant pain (despite a combination of meds intended to relieve it). He was 13.
If she's not suffering, love her and spoil her every day...that won't make it any easier when you have to "do the right thing"; but she deserves nothing less.
For your sake, I hope she goes peacefully in her sleep when her time comes.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and her. We've been there too many times ourselves. I'd like to ask... has the tumor been examined and classified by a vet oncologist? Not all tumors are cancerous and not all of them necessarily lead to an end of life, even at her age.

I'm sorry to hear your friend is on her way out. That's always a tough one and the price we pay for their love and affection that they give so willingly.

Your sweet girl ... I am so sorry. May she eat and prance in happiness now ... and remembered forever as only our dear, old dog treasures can be. Sometimes this forum makes me cry. Take heart.

Making THAT decision is really tough. We had a cat with a urinary disease. Previously we had the vet put down a cat that had a tumor. I just couldn't do it with Carlita. She eventually died but she lived a lot longer than what the vet told us was likely. I put a solar light on her grave to remind me of her every time I went into my back yard or when I look out at night.

I'm very sorry to hear this. Losing a pet is damned hard and I don't wish it on anyone. Sending smoke for you, your family and your four legged friend.

I wish I had magic words of wisdom but I don't. I've had to put down two dogs in my lifetime so far and it is a very, very difficult decision.

I like to think King and Hector are in heaven chasing tennis balls thrown by my two grandpas.

Also, remember that you and your family enriched her life as much as she enriched yours.

Thoughts and prayers from MI.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and her. We've been there too many times ourselves. I'd like to ask... has the tumor been examined and classified by a vet oncologist? Not all tumors are cancerous and not all of them necessarily lead to an end of life, even at her age.

Cytology was recommended for draining issues. The complicating factor is that it was started with a scorpion sting. That went away, but then came back with a vengeance up closer to her eye. It shouldn't have though, with steroids and antibiotics. So for now we keep trying to drain it but if nothing else we get more testing soon.

Thank you friend for your support.

I had Leatherman laser engrave her onto a Wave, so I can always kind of carry her with me.

InstaSave_12.jpg

Back