Doing a little time travel to...... (1955)

not2sharp

Platinum Member
We find a way to bounce back to June of 1955, and we walk into a nicely provisioned hardware store in good old suburbia USA. As we walk up to the sales clerk, there is only one question on our minds (the jump back must have dented our imagination); so we ask, "what knives do you have at the counter?"

So it is mid 1955, what is the lucky clerk going to show us, before we clean out his entire knife inventory.

(pics are welcomed)

n2s

On the east coast of the US you would find a cabinet with Case XX knives.
Case XX to a colector would mean from the 40's to 1964. (It semas to mean just about anything on ebay :).

Here are a couple of Case XX era patterns that are very popular.

Attachments

• garagesale.jpg
    garagesale.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 418
You might also find some Keen Cutter brand knives in another case.
The predominate pattern would be trappers or stockmen. With most of the handle material being jigged bone.

You also might see some knives by Robeson and Schrade. All pretty much had carbon steel blades that walked and talked with authority.

Just guessing since that was the year I was born and I do not really remember :D.

Great looking knives Gus. I'll just start carting those out to the truck for us while the clerk is furiously trying to update his bill of sale. He already broken one pencil point and he doesn't know that we have just begun. :)

Gus:great 64052:D :D :D
Don' see many of those,in that era,around much.

Oldtimer,Keen Cutter,Case,Schrade.
"55" it was a very good year.Turned 14 that summer.Bought my first motorcycle.1947 Knucklehead.Great year for Chevys too.And Olds.And that little Ford Thunderbird.And girls.And, well you know.You had those years also.
Frank Sinatra sang it so well."It was a very good year"

Would you folks kill Gus if he told you he picked up that congress and canoe for 9 bucks at a garage sale last summer. (and folks think there is no profit in knives.)

We need to add Camilus to our list. They made some very fine traditional folders in that era.

"Would you folks kill Gus if he told you he picked up that congress and canoe for 9 bucks at a garage sale last summer. (and folks think there is no profit in knives.) "

Hmmm let me think… YES!

We'd only think about it if he keeps reminding us of it repeatedly!
Since the first time I heard that, I've been looking at the local classifieds for yard sales!
Those knives have not been available locally.

I think you'd see something like this
display.jpg
It's a Case display from the 50's. Sorry about the light reflecting, I'm not to swift with a camera.

Perry (Knifekid)

Perry, My gosh, I remember buying a knife from a display just
like the one in your Pic in a small town in Indiana when I was
a kid in the 50's. What a rush of memories. .......WOW!!

All the fun I had then..............

Perry,

Great knives and a perfect presentation. I think we are going to need a bigger truck.....

n2s

What a treat! Thanks for that awesome pic Perry!

Back