Don Fogg's Reno offering

http://www.dfoggknives.com/photogallery/Ivory Yakuza/IvoryYakuzaIll.html

post-2-91883-IvoryYakuza480.jpg

IvoryYakuzaTsuba2.jpg

IvoryYakuzahandle.jpg

IvoryYakuzahamon.jpg

A big piece of art - the blade is 12"! It will be for sale for $2,750...

JD

Wow. This has everything that appeals to me in a big display piece. Museum quality, to be sure. :) Hubba-hubba!
It will be for sale for $2,750...
...and I suppose we'd have to knock YOU over in order to get to the front of this line, eh!!?? Go for it. :D

Coop

Quite frankly, I would like it much better without a guard at all....

I'm with ya Joss, scrap the guard. It would just look more lean and refined without it. Still a heck of piece just the same.

Huh! I really love the yakuza bowie's. One of the things I like most about them is the guard and how it's asymmetry complements the way the blade and handle sort of point downward! Heh, I guess it takes all kind!

Although my favourite in this line is the plainer one with wood that is on his site.

I love the guard. It gives this knife it's own personality. Without it, it would like like another Mediterranean dirk; albeit a gorgeous one.

This is one of the most outstanding knives that I have seen and one that feel is well worth the price being asked for it.

Either you like it or you don't. On his webpage there is a button that says you can "order one similar to this one"...

And I was thinking, geez, I'd LOVE that if it didn't have that square guard. Looks like my type of knife. But I didn't press the button. :(

That hamon is unworldly!

Coop

I think this is an outstanding knife and one of the more innovative designs I've seen in a while. I can understand why the guard may tend to polarize opinions, but I love it. It is probably the single feature that most brings out the "east meets west" synthesis of style that this knife is all about.

As Keith pointed out, remove the guard and you are essentially left with a Med. dirk (not to mention, a knife that is very definitively "Coop" ;)). And I'd frankly love to see such a knife from Don. But this particular design I find fresh and appealing and highly desireable. Would that I had 3 large in discretionary cash right now.

Thanks for posting the pics Joss.

Cheers,

Roger

PS - Does anyone bring out those ghostly hamons quite like Don?

It's growin' on me....

Coop

It's grown on me already. :D ;) :p

For me, it works better than the wood handled one. This one's handle is bigger, and the knife looks less "skinny".

I love this thread. :) I come back to look at it all the time. I think the reason I like the wood handled version better is that the handles seem to carry the lines of the blade a little better. The blade is fairly straight and on this version with the handle curving slightly up, sort of breaks up the lines for me a bit.

Of course, this is all just different shades of lovin' this knife style a whole lot!

And where is the wood-handled one?? :confused:

Coop

Hey Joss,

When you get back from Reno be sure to let us know what you thought of the knife in person. Pictures can only convey so much.

Cheers,

Roger

I'm a danger to myself because I have a little bit of money this time... BTW, this will be one of the few opportunities to buy a Bill Moran knife I think.

Well, I got up at 6:30am and was at the door at 7:30 - for a show opening at 11am. I wanted to be the first one at Don's table. I was indeed the first guy to get in the show, andI could have gone to Tim Hancock or Jerry Fisk (actually, his daughter was at the table - she's incomparably prettier than Jerry! :D ), both of whom are at the near-top of my list (and both of whom sold out in less than 5mn). But I went straight for Don's table, and it just took me 2mn to decide I wanted the piece. So it is now in my loving care....)

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Back