Don't Do Diss . . . Keys in same pocket as Sebenza!

expidia1 expidia1 I would caution against going too fine, 8,000 is 1 micron. I may be wrong ,but I think it would be ok for perhaps an inlay. If you go too fine you might lose the hand rubbed look.

I seldom go over 1200 with the 3M that I use. It is color coded: the 1200 is blue (9 micron), the 600 is gray (15 micron). It's the best I've ever used for touch ups. It is surprisingly aggressive.

I
expidia1 expidia1 I would caution against going too fine, 8,000 is 1 micron. I may be wrong ,but I think it would be ok for perhaps an inlay. If you go too fine you might lose the hand rubbed look.

I seldom go over 1200 with the 3M that I use. It is color coded: the 1200 is blue (9 micron), the 600 is gray (15 micron). It's the best I've ever used for touch ups. It is surprisingly aggressive.

A few weeks ago I tried my Wicked Edge .5 micron and .25 micron diamond spray on a soft cloth. Even that was too coarse. I think it only made more scratches. Yet when sprayed on a leather strop it really polishes the blade edge to a finished mirror edge. Like I said above Brasso on a Q-tip got most of the scratches out. Im hoping the 8000 grit paper will polish the handle ends up a tad more. I also tried 3000 grit automotive sandpaper, but that was also way too coarse.

I have users, but I prefer to keep my knives pristine because I plan on reselling most someday as I trade up. For those knives I look at them more as "rented". Resale value especially with scratches on a Damascus blade, polished blades or on polished handles causes the resale value to take a huge hit. I don't have any Safe Queens. I just carry carefully to protect my tools and toys.

I usually sell my cellphone every 2 or 3 years (a little longer and the phones are almost worthless because tech changes so fast). But I've learned to carry my phone in the opposite pocket of my keys or I'd destroy its resale value. I'm not a belted sheath carry type. But a belted type sheath would be perfect for when I go camping.
The sheath idea above for protection is probably why CRK provides them with their higher end knives. I like deep carry clips which keeps it off the pocket bottom, yet the knife does not show out of the pocket's top. Many of us enjoy catch and releasing just to try out various models. This is a big part of the draw of this forum especially our feedback system for both buyers and sellers. I take care the same way with my Benchmade collection.

Frustration or joy is in the eye of the beholder . . . "Frustration" is a Girlfriend or being Married . . . "Joy" is owning a Dog . . .

But I "am" a fan of a gorgeous edge. I just put on a Wicked Edge last night on a week old Box Elder Damascus large 21 (I plan on keeping it). Whats frustrating to me is having to rotate back to a factory edge carry during the week because I am planning on reselling that particular model.

I don't mind scratching an "edge" while using it since I can easily polish scratches out in a few minutes.
The sharpness between the wicked edge and the factory grind is like night and day. Plus a polished mirrored edge slices like butter and is just so damn purdy: ;)

Thanks for your feedback.

View attachment 956594
If you're worried about retaining resale value, you might find that an amateur home re-finishing job will do as much damage as a scratch...especially if you plan to disclose the finish modification when you sell.

Just use the knives and let the scratches and wear come as it will.

Or get a plain jane user, they look good with some honest wear.

Last edited:
This is a slippery slope issue.... I think it all boils down to individual tolerances.... some people use knives with abandon, and enjoy them fully... some people baby and coddle with fear every time the knife comes out to use... I am somewhere in the middle... I am using a "P" ATS 34 large just for kicks... It holds a great edge and is a pleasure to produce from the pocket! Opening boxes, buttering bread, cutting meat , whatever, abuse it no. use it yes! The belt sander puts a great edge on it . ( just kidding!)

Become one with the scratches my friend. Your knife is now the Schott Perfecto with the sun baked collar. The Red wings with chunks of the outer sole missing. If you try and carry another knife, from here on out.... deep down you feel an unknown guilt. This is a beautiful thing brother. Embrace it

Become one with the scratches my friend. Your knife is now the Schott Perfecto with the sun baked collar. The Red wings with chunks of the outer sole missing. If you try and carry another knife, from here on out.... deep down you feel an unknown guilt. This is a beautiful thing brother. Embrace it

Haha . . . so if you were to scrape expensive aluminum car wheels on a curb, you would continue to drive around with those scrapes and they are now a "badge of honor" :D (to me it lowers my resale value of my car).
Crazy me, I get them repaired. There are people in the mobile wheel repair business that come out and repair them for around $100.
For a beater I choose to use my $45 Kershaw Onion.

Just received this one in yesterday. Looks like one of the previous owners keyed it in his pocket too.
I wonder what medium CRK uses to polish their Titanium handles with? (if they remove/replace the inlays, which is the only way they will polish it).
I'll send it into them as the two inlays on the show side are not as nice color wise to me as the one on this one on clip side.

IMG_8588.jpeg

Haha . . . so if you were to scrape expensive aluminum car wheels on a curb, you would continue to drive around with those scrapes and they are now a "badge of honor" :D (to me it lowers my resale value of my car).
Crazy me, I get them repaired. There are people in the mobile wheel repair business that come out and repair them for around $100.
For a beater I choose to use my $45 Kershaw Onion.

Just received this one in yesterday. Looks like one of the previous owners keyed it in his pocket too.
I wonder what medium CRK uses to polish their Titanium handles with? (if they remove/replace the inlays, which is the only way they will polish it).
I'll send it into them as the two inlays on the show side are not as nice color wise to me as the one on this one on clip side.

View attachment 962427
The answer to your car question, my friend, is yes. Crazy me, i think a knife looks way better with use. Also, the rims on my car are not meant for hard use, my knife is. Next CRK you get new just leave it at home in yoyr safe and 'tell' people about if they ask, as opposed to showing them.

This is one of the reasons, other than the price, that I stick with plains. My small Insingo rides in my pocket with my keys all the time and looks great after years of carry and use. I too would probably cringe if I had a decorated that was dinged up. I too would suggest a slip since it really does protect the knife. The only reason I don't use mine is that it adds an additional step of dealing with the slip when you are using the knife.

...worries about scratches' impact on resale, but ignores impact of patchy kitchen table refinish on resale in the same thought.. interesting..
Would you disclose your "repair" when you sold the knife?
Because that disclosure would affect the price as much as the scratches I would think..

Back