Don't try this at home (R-rated for kukri violence)

Discussion in 'H.I. Cantina' started by alexs, Dec 4, 2009.

1. alexs

alexs

Nov 26, 2009
    I didn't realize, thanks for the heads up.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  2. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    We dont post the sacrificial beheadings here, alexs.
    It was Uncle Bills wish that if people wanted to see those, that they seek them out for themselves and watch them elsewhere. I know it's part of a ritual, but we respect his wish.

Please remove it.
    Otherwise, a mod will have to.

If you dont believe me, check this link.
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478289&highlight=sacrifice

3. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    THANK YOU, Alexs !!!

4. captlid

captlid

Feb 23, 2002
    What amazes me is how clean of a cut they pull off on such a huge animal. I am very surprised on the squeamish reaction to these videos though or the concept that they aren't family friendly. People should know that food comes from a slaughterhouse and not just in a package from the supermarket.

In my all girls yeshiva [jewish religious school] in nyc during the early 90's, we had a slaughterhouse in the basement so the high school girls would learn how to properly slaughter an animal to keep it kosher. They practiced on hogs and then donated them to pantries. They made no effort to hide this place, so all of us 2-5th graders would watch this stuff during recess if we wanted to. After our initial curiosity we kept playing dogdeball. :) None of us got traumatized from watching these things as far as I know.

5. tedwca

tedwca

Dec 10, 2005
    I personally don't have an issue with it, but Uncle Bill asked to not post the images in this forum. He would make them available if you emailed him.

6. Cpl Punishment

Cpl Punishment

Jan 28, 2006
    Can you post links to them with a warning of what they are?

7. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    Well, I know Ted and I don't have a huge issue with them being posted as long as there is a warning. However, if this is what Uncle Bill wished, then I think it would be best to honor him.

Google is your friend;)

Anyway, no harm no foul:)

8. C.S. Graves

C.S. Graves

Jun 13, 2006
    Yes, I viewed a video of Dashain sacrifices a few months back (in spite of initial reservations) and that's about as fast as any living thing could hope to go out. One speedy whack of a big khuk, and you've got a headless crittter. :eek: I can't see there being a lot of time for the animal to suffer, provided they all have such skillful slaughterers.

And it's always peculiar to see folk who are perfectly happy to gobble down any amount of burgers and chicken et cetera criticise the slaughter of animals in another nation in a non factory-farming setting. :confused:

Heck, even as a vegetarian, I realize not everyone has the luxury of choice or even just the inclination to do without. But to eat meat and condemn the slaughter? :confused: Geez louise, that's all I can say.

9. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    I dont really have an issue with them either, but i thought it best to honor UB's wishes and follow how this has been handled in the past. I'm sure there is good reasoning behind it. The only issue i could have with it is, it may offend some people and some others may take too much pleasure in the bloodletting aspect of them.

At any rate, if anyone wants to view it, all they have to do is go to youtube and type in khukuri beheading or dashain sacrifice.

10. captlid

captlid

Feb 23, 2002
    There is good reasoning behind it. I miss uncle bill and rusty. :grumpy:

11. C.S. Graves

C.S. Graves

Jun 13, 2006
    I'm not positive, but I think someone in a similar thread a few years back mentioned the rationale that kids might be distressed by such things, should they happent to see daddy viewing the forum and links therein.

12. Steely_Gunz

May 9, 2002
    Yeah this is a slippery slope, guys.

Uncle Bill used to not be a big fan of these things being posted, but sometimes he was more inclined to err on the side of freedom of speech.

True a kid could stumble across these links, and that might be bad news. However, it's not OUR job to babysit and sanitize the interwebz for the kiddies. There is obviously much worse to see than a gory (albeit quick) animal sacrifice on the net.

I guess it comes down to this: If you have seen it on the internet, you are probably the 10 millionth person to see it on the net and thus it is old news. You really don't need to post it here. However, if you do, and wish to provide a direct link PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make sure to label it like alexs did. Some of us don't like to look at stuff like that.

I know I would be extra pi$$ed if all I saw was a link to a "cool khukuri video" and found that on the other end.

No harm no foul. If this is the worst thing that graces the doors of the Cantina, we are blessed my brothers and sisters:)

13. b.c.molin

b.c.molin

Nov 28, 2008
    I wish I had had the chance to know them personally but their posts live on ...

And thank you Karda for being aware of Uncle Bill's thoughts on this matter and keeping the posts true to them.

Yes Sir to that!

14. Cpl Punishment

Cpl Punishment

Jan 28, 2006
    FWIW, I've seen the ceremony, just asking for rules clarification for the OP, and any others who stumble across it and want to share something in the cantina.

Just wondered since UB didn't want pic or vids shown, didn't know if that meant no links, either.

15. Wolf_1989

Wolf_1989

Mar 30, 2007
    But we can still post pics and videos of ourselves using khukuris to sacrifice downed trees ,so it's not all a big deal.

16. tedwca

tedwca

Dec 10, 2005
    Links with warnings are OK, images posted directly are a no go.

17. Steely_Gunz

May 9, 2002
    :thumbup: I think this works.

18. Bladite

Bladite ǝɹnsıǝן ɟo uɐɯǝןʇuǝb Moderator

Feb 28, 2003
    uncle bill's wishes outweigh any nanny-state ideology imho...

kid's these days are FAR more sophisticated with regards to most adults, esp their parents, in regards to the internet... barring of course professional nerds like myself ;) if it's out there, they found it, heck, they probably PUT their own copy up for their friends. really.

not doing things because "a kid might see it"... that's a meme i wish would fade away quickly. bad bad bad idea imho.

RIP UB

Bladite

19. Svashtar

Svashtar

Dec 28, 2003
    Well said Bladite. :thumbup:

FWIW, I've seen far more horrible things on this forum, like Dave (Satori) chopping cinder block into bite sized chunks with a Manjushree sword! :D

The horror! ;)

N.

20. Bladite

Bladite ǝɹnsıǝן ɟo uɐɯǝןʇuǝb Moderator

Feb 28, 2003
    kids aren't allowed on the forums anyway, right? per: '''In accordance with the COPPA, no one under the age of 13 may join BladeForums.com'''

so, we're already covered ;)

Bladite