Don't worry so much.

I don't collect. so I have no qualms whatsoever about putting a brand new knife to use. For that matter, I don't hesitate to put a brand new knife to a grinder or belt sander or any other shop tools to modify them to my tastes. I've taken all sorts of brand new knives right from the tube or packaging to the shop. So using a new knife is no consideration for me.

sometimes i get in that mood, like that heritage jack in clip. now i need to modify that workhorse barlow from queen. that blade doesnt sit too well. also want to modify that two bladed 48 that i bought from dickens as soon as i figure out how to split open slipjoints without wrecking them :confused: I think for me, if it came a little shoddy, i have less OCD about putting it in my pocket. After that first scratch i dont care as much. like that messed up boker slim trapper, the tip came curved! i put that on an anvil and hammered it right away

What, me worry? 😉
I agree with Eric J. Use traditional knives with confidence. They can take it!

I had my eureka moment when I started carrying and heavily using a Douk Douk. I realized that a good knife doesn't need a pocket clip, a lock, OR fancy blade steel. Security comes from the user, not the blade design, as no locking mechanism is stupid-proof. Frankly I think non-locking knives are safer than any lock design, because they force the user to act with forethought and caution.

A large part of the hobby for me is finding older, used slipjoints at yard sales, etc.. Part and parcel of this is finding some knives in pretty poor shape. I'll patch them up and try to use them up. It's surprising what they'll take, even the shell handle Imperials.

My real worry is I have so many knives and not enough time to give them all a fair crack of the whip :cool: But that's not exactly a horrible worry be far worse if I only had ONE knife or NONE!!:eek::barf:

Been carrying a slipjoint pocketknife nearly daily for 50+ years - there is no "worry" in using one. Need a picture of Alfred E. Neuman to post here! OH

I think it's only by using knives that you really learn about them, why a particular knife needs a belly, why the clip is how it is, about grinds, and choils, and suchlike.

I particularly enjoy using my old knives :)

I thought I would never be a collector of anything after I sold off my Star Wars memorabilia several years back. I vowed to do no such thing again. But, I've found I became a collector of knives by accident.

You know that whole' "1 is none, 2 is one" concept. Except in my case it became "1 is 1, 2 is 50. Haha

I collect knives to use, so they all get pocket time, or pack/woods time. I only have one knife I don't plan to use only because it's autographed by the designer. All others I am more than happy to devalue....at my own expense. [emoji6]

For anyone concerned with slip-joint usage, don't be. The other day at work I had to cut off a section of a rug that is used to cover up computer cables. The thing was in bad shape and was curling at all the corners. It was a tripping hazard for sure! Without any thought about slippage or usage anxiety I took out my Texas Jack and went right to work. It went through the rubber and nylon? with no closing or hanging up. This was some tough stuff to cut and the Jack needed a little stropping afterward, but the job got done with no issues. Don't worry about using your slip joints! Use your GECs, CASEs, Remingtons, Schrades, etc. Buy them, coon finger them, and use them! That is what they are for.

What is "coon finger them"?

"coon finger" means to hold, rotate, flip over, fiddle with, much as a raccoon does when it is washing its food. It is normally used in conjuction with "chicken-eye", meaning to look at something while turning ones head from side to side, somewhat like a chicken who has spotted a worm and is deciding the best way to peck at the worm.

So when someone is coon-fingering and chicken-eyeing a knife, it means they are looking at it and inspecting it from all sides. Kind of like what you do when someone hands you a closed pocket knife for the first time.

:thumbup: Jackknife, your posts got me into slip joints, Craftsman 4 way drivers, and P-38 can openers. The Grand High Muckba never worries! Now I don't either! :D

Carl is our Hero! :thumbup:

If used properly a slip-joint won't close on you. Know your tool and how to deploy it.

Back