Don't ya just hate speed traps?

Man theey go to what they call "the berry patches" as they call them, and just smoke one car after another. They sit in places where they know they'll catch people. They get money for their departments this way and actually have quotas they have to fulfill. Atleast that is how it works here. To protect and Serve man.

I've read about court cases taht got off because they had quotas - it created undue bias on the police part to make $

I've also read considerable reports about how our local police have NO quotas

But think about this.
The police or local govt all have budgets that include estimates of revenue by the year, month and week.
That's a quota. they all have it.

Fight every ticket.
I've had 3 dropped

I've read about court cases taht got off because they had quotas - it created undue bias on the police part to make $

I've also read considerable reports about how our local police have NO quotas

But think about this.
The police or local govt all have budgets that include estimates of revenue by the year, month and week.
That's a quota. they all have it.

Fight every ticket.
I've had 3 dropped

I've seen news articles about police officers, particularly in New York, who opposed the whole quota system, and made undercover recordings of those in charge telling them to go out and meet their quotas through literally any means necessary.

In addition to a good radar detector, I also highly recommend a phone app called WAZE. It's mostly useful in high traffic areas, where drivers report cops & road hazards as they encounter them.

Yes, Waze is good! One time I was like "there's no cop there, I've never seen a cop there". But I erred on the side of caution and sure enough, there was a sheriff right where Waze indicated.

I'd be wiling to go to court but in the end I'd have to admit I was going faster than the 30 miles per hour that it was listed, which puts me in the wrong, while to me, I was driving safely as I always strive to do, but the rule of the law, that was busted as was I ;)

There are reasons for speed limits and some will take advantage of that location, I was just not privy that they hung out in those areas...I do now !

G2

In Ohio, or maybe its my county, the officer has to ask you if you want to see the radar gun reading to prove you were actually going the speed they claim. I've never driven in NY but is that an option or are you just locked into what they say?

He didn't offer but stated it said that, afterwards I wanted to see it myself and if there was a time stamp when it was taken would be nice to know too...

And I'm a big fan of cruise control as well, but in this area going slow I do not run the cruise control through the slower parts like in a village/town area.

G2

I drive pretty fast on highways and pass cops all the time and I've never been pulled over for speeding. You can drive fast, and not look like you're driving fast. It's easy, don't speed through residential areas, cities, whatever; keep it less than 15 over on back roads; on the freeway go a little slower than the person who just passed you. Remember $9.99 and $10.00 are the same thing, but $9.99 sells better.

I know a couple of LEOs. They say that there is no quota for traffic tickets, BUT, if they are not writing tickets or warnings, they are not doing their job. I am not a trained law enforcement officer, but I can't drive two blocks in my town without seeing some idiot doing something that's worth a ticket. At night it's even worse. I can't believe how many cars are out there with one or more lights out. Headlights, tail lights, brake lights and license plate lights. All are violations.

The best I can tell, the police don't care one bit about things like lights out, other than to use them as an excuse to dig deeper. I've been pulled over for a license plate light being out on my way to work one night. After making sure I wasn't wanted they let me go with the suggestion I get it fixed ASAP. I've also been pulled over for a light that wasn't out, I assume it was because I was in an area I didn't appear to belong in and they wanted to see what I was up to. While that was a fair enough assumption, it wasn't a neighborhood I would hang out in, I was there for a legitimate reason. That day my opinion of the police dropped quite a bit after they lied straight to my face.

Back